Help! I messed up making partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebob

Beta member
Hello all, 1st time poster here. I hope someone here can help me with my problem.

To explain my situation I will give a brief summary.

I just built a new computer; E8400, 4 GB RAM, 9800 GTX+, windows XP home edition. 1x 500 GB HD.

Original install had C: for HD and D: for dvd rom.

I had everything finely tuned and was very happy with it. But, yesterday using Symnatec Partition Magic 2003 it all went downhill fast.

When I first installed Windows, I made a partition of 40 GB for the OS/Programs etc...

I noticed in partition Magic that 460GB was unallocated.

I decided to make 1 partition for files, 1 for back-up and 1 for OS/Programs.
I made Files a primary drive, along with OS/Programs, and Back-up a logical drive. And here is where I messed up, I set the fles drive as active and rebooted to make changes.

I got the NTLDR not found message.

To fix this I tried to do the following to fix it.

1st I tried to repair the existing OS through Windows XP recover. Didn't work.
next I tried to install another windows XP (Windows2) on the same partition. Still didn't work.
Next I installed a 3rd Windows XP on the Files drive that changed to drive C: when I set it as active. That got me back inside windows on the 3rd OS install.
Then I deleted the Windows2 folder from the original OS/programs partiton.
And then set the original OS partion as active, which set it back to drive C then.
My problem now is it keeps booting up on the 3rd OS I installed, that is now on the (Non-)Active partiton.

I want to get back to my finely tuned original install of XP and delete the 3rd install.

Any suggestions?

PS Sorry for the long question.

You will have to edit the boot.ini file to have the partition and rdisk numbers match that of the original install.

Enter bootcfg into an active windows partition DOS.

(You can also run bootcfg via the Win RC)

The various options let you edit the boot.ini file GUI style ;)

You can also run a bootcfg /? if you're unsure of the commands.

Tkey

delete it or hide it in Partition magic.

you should have booted from the pm cd and set the regular c drive back to active. it would have save you time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom