HELP! Emergency Need for school. Boot Failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5starog

Beta member
Ok so i have 2 hard drives and a cd rom. And all was working fine until today. I have one hard 40 gb and its my primary master hard drive and i installed xp pro sp3 on it for OS.
the other hard drive 20gb i just use for storage but i think it was NTFS instead of Fat32 and i have no OS installed on it. And this is my Primary Slave drive
And the cdrom is my Secondary master but the cdrom isnt important
Ok so everything was going well and i boot off the 40gb evryday and get whatever i need from the 20gb and i was happy
but today when i started my computer it said boot failure Please insert FLoppy into drive A and it also said that it couldn't detect my hard drives
so my first thought is that the cables went loose
so i open it and all the cables were fine
so i thought maybe the cable was broken
but i just wanted to test the cable to make sure it was working
so what i did was only use my 40 gb hard drive so i took out the cable for the 20 gb hard drive so that i would only use the 40gb hard drive
and it worked
so my 40 hard drive booted up with that cable fine so the cable wasn't the problem. so i thought maybe the hard drive was the problem
so i took my 20gb and switched the jumpers from slave to master
and made it the Primary master and since it didn't have an OS all i wanted to see if it showed up on my BoOT menu
so i plugged the cables in and yeah it showed up on my bios
so now it wasn't the cable and it wasn't the hard drive
but i still suspected the cable
so i got a new cable
and still it said boot failure IDe Primary Drive not detected
and so its not the cable and its not the hard drive
and i h ave valuable info on both of the hard drives?
so what do i do
i have very important files for school
i also tried removing the CMOS battery and stil didn't work
i tried unpluggin all thhe cables and starting the comp and then shutting it down and then adding the cables and restrting didnt work
i tried adding the 20gb as Secondary master also didnt work
uggghhhhhhh.........

Re: HELP! EMERGENCY NEEd FOR SCHOOL BOOT FAILURE!

Put the 2 drives on the same cable. Put the 40GB drive with the OS as master and the 2nd drive as slave. Put the CD ROM on the other IDE Channel as the master.

See what that does for you.

I have a machine at home that doesnt like to share hard drives on the same IDE cable. I just leave the hard drives on seperate cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom