HDMI for xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
Almost 2 years ago I bought an xbox 360 Pro. All it came with was the component cables and back then that was all I needed. Well I got a nice 1080p Monitor for Christmas and it has a VGA port a DVI port and an HDMI port. Problem is my 360 does not have an HDMI port on it so I can't hook it up to my monitor without using this: Xbox.com | Xbox 360 - Xbox 360? VGA HD AV Cable

The problem with that is I lose the sound and I have to hook it up to another sound source but I don't have any other sound sources close enough to my monitor to hook it up.

Here is a link to the monitor I got: Newegg.com - ASUS VH222H Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor Built in Speakers 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR20000:1) w/ SPDIF out - LCD Monitors

It has the standard mini headphone jack for sound but I am using that to have sound for my computer and it would be nice to not have to reach back behind my monitor to plug sound in every time I want to play my xbox, if I could find a converter from the red and white cables to the mini port.

Anyways I guess I have two possible choices:

Sell my 360 and get a newer one with HDMI (I don't know how much that will cost, does anyone know a rough estimate?)

Or buy the VGA adapter and get another adapter for sound (About $50)

Which one would you guys say is better? and how much would it cost to trade my 360 in to get one with a HDMI port?

I'd just get a VGA cable. You can buy the expensive official one for $50 or get an off brand cheap one on eBay for $10 shipped (that works just as well as the MS one). I have an off-brand one that works just fine, has optical output for surround sound too. If you need to go from phono plugs to mini jack, the $50 MS cord comes with one, or you can pick one up at RadioShack for probably $5. The VGA cable has a VGA connector, phono L/R, and an optical port for surround.

Almost 2 years ago I bought an xbox 360 Pro. All it came with was the component cables and back then that was all I needed. Well I got a nice 1080p Monitor for Christmas and it has a VGA port a DVI port and an HDMI port. Problem is my 360 does not have an HDMI port on it so I can't hook it up to my monitor without using this: Xbox.com | Xbox 360 - Xbox 360? VGA HD AV Cable

The problem with that is I lose the sound and I have to hook it up to another sound source but I don't have any other sound sources close enough to my monitor to hook it up.

Here is a link to the monitor I got: Newegg.com - ASUS VH222H Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor Built in Speakers 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR20000:1) w/ SPDIF out - LCD Monitors

It has the standard mini headphone jack for sound but I am using that to have sound for my computer and it would be nice to not have to reach back behind my monitor to plug sound in every time I want to play my xbox, if I could find a converter from the red and white cables to the mini port.

Anyways I guess I have two possible choices:

Sell my 360 and get a newer one with HDMI (I don't know how much that will cost, does anyone know a rough estimate?)

Or buy the VGA adapter and get another adapter for sound (About $50)

Which one would you guys say is better? and how much would it cost to trade my 360 in to get one with a HDMI port?

If you use HDMI to the monitor, you still won't have sound.... At least I always thought monitors with HDMI only supported Video and not audio... I would do what Calc said and then hook it up to some speakers that way. If you don't have any, get a cheapo pair of logitechs.

I'll get the VGA adapter I read that it is 1080P, and I will use HDMI for my computer and surgevel I get sound through my monitor when I use HDMI, I have tried it with my PC and a DVD player that has HDMI.

I'll get the VGA adapter I read that it is 1080P, and I will use HDMI for my computer and surgevel I get sound through my monitor when I use HDMI, I have tried it with my PC and a DVD player that has HDMI.

Perhaps I was thinking of using Video Cards HDMI to Monitor HDMI... and monitors without speakers.

my brother just traded his xbox for one with hdmi. Try this with either a trade on craigslist...maybe someone with out HD will give it up if you throw in some cash...or...go to gamestop and do a trade. Think that is what my bro did

my brother just traded his xbox for one with hdmi. Try this with either a trade on craigslist...maybe someone with out HD will give it up if you throw in some cash...or...go to gamestop and do a trade. Think that is what my bro did

Trading 360's isn't necessarily a good idea. The enormous failure rate of early model 360's means that you can't really trust used ones. If you're trading up for a newer (Falcon/Jasper) unit, that'd probably be OK, but beware of 360 trades for earlier units as you may be tricked into getting a broken or soon-to-be broken console, possibly one that has been fixed or even repaired at home. If you trade up, make sure to get a newer one (brand new would be best, but that'd also be too expensive just to get a little bit of gain on HDMI over VGA).

Also, having 1080p isn't really important. Games have a set resolution that they render at, usually 12xx by 9xx or around there. After that, it's all just upscaling. I really don't notice a huge difference between 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and 1680x1050, they're all above the resolutions that most games render at. You aren't going to get PC quality pixel-for-pixel 1920x1080 pictures, only an upconverted smaller image.

most hdmi xboxs are not that old. can't recall when hdmi released on the xbox but it wasn't on the launch ones. safe bet would be gamestop

I Got the DVI cable and the picture is amazing, much better then the old CRT that I had. Also I don't think there would be much for me to worry about with trading in my 360 because Mine is one of the older ones.

The first ones with HDMI (Zephyr, revision 2) were essentially the same as the launch consoles but with an HDMI port. The Falcons were the first to actually do something to prevent the RRoD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom