Haveing two OS on one harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filya_Baranov

Baseband Member
I'm currently running windows and I want to install Fedora. What should I do so I could switch back and forth between these two OS?

linux has a default filesystem of ext3 which windows does not support. so you have to have some "unallocated" space on your hdd. after you have sufficient space(10gb atleast for fedora core 7) then get a bootable disk of fedora core and boot your machine through it. it will detect the unallocated space on its own and ask you to create a partition for linux. create the partition and specify a mount point.
you will get the dual boot option from the grub loader which will be automatically installed along with linux.
hope this helps. c ya!!
you should try googling for good linux distributions. i personally use ubuntu and have used fedora in the past. c ya!!

Unless the NTFS drivers are installed...
He said "...can be read by Windows", not Linux. ;)

Anyway to answer the original question, you need some unallocated space as said above. Partition Magic works great, as well as numerous free utilities. You just need the free space on your drive to dedicate, and then you're good to go.

Fedora will likely have a boot loader ready to go for you (to choose between Windows and Fedora on boot)...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom