Harebrained scheme #7; Wireless home jukebox system. Input would be showered with love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Cheekbones

Beta member
*edit* Just to apologise if this is in the wrong section; couldn't decide if this would belong in hardware or networking!

Hey all! I'm after some advice; here's the longer shorter version...

I'm moving into a new house share with my gf and another couple; we all like the same music and have a good 20k songs between us. We'll pretty much always have something playing in the house and will regularly be having other people around who also enjoy our music - however the house is fairly large - including a 'den' complete with a bar (pumps n' all!) we're starting to build.

So, we came up with the idea of using a couple of oldschool dell laptops we have lying around, along with my pc which has the majority of the music on it and is permanently turned on, to a create a jukebox system. The hope is the laptops would be converted into terminals dedicated solely to selecting music/adding it to a global playlist and outputting to various speaker sets around the house. As someone adds music to one terminal it would update the others ect.

I like to think I'm pretty tech savvy and I'm fine with hardware conversions and msot networking but I have no idea where to begin! Let alone, what software would be suitable (or even if plain old itunes dj would work!).

Any advice/2 cents would be greatly appreciated!

Couldn't you just use the default media player/media server to do that?

Have a network shortcut to your music folder/folders and upload and play out of it?

I'm pretty spoiled as my asus router has this built in.... But you could just use default win one.

I also use tversity for media for my dlink media server. It works well, but supports not top notch. You'd run it off the desktop and serve it to any device, including phones, via a webpage. Only drawback is you can't upload via the program, and it doesn't immediately show stuff added unless you or a scheduled rescan happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom