GTA4 and its CPU intensive needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also there are no low or low/meddium settings.

Only Meddium/High/Very High exist.
AKA Welfare/Gamer/L33t Hax.

P.S. Forgot about edit button

How many background processes do you have running? Have you turned off the clip recorder (helps significantly)? Overclocked your card?

I installed this game on a:

2.8GHz Quad Core
2 Gigs of ram
9800GT OC
All the other semi latest items.

I get HORRID quality and FPS even on meddium settings. Apx 3-5 FPS with it being all on minimum. The game is a pain to play. I am really dissapointed that I spent nearly 700$ on upgrading and am still getting 1-3 FPS better then before.

Don't get me wrong without the lag and good FPS of 25+ the game is AMAZING but I find it VERY dissapointing.

it's the resolution u play on that requires more resources to maintain a decent framerate. So ur CPU n perhaps ur RAM, . The CPU n RAM requirements:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
AMD Phenom X3 2.1 GHz

2.5GB RAM (Vista)

also, when u go to graphic settings, how much resource usage shows in the game? Mine is 502MB instead of 1GB like it should be. I tried taking out 1GB of RAM to see if all the VRAM shows, it didnt. The game used every last bit of my RAM (2.667GB to almost be precise), the game is a resource hog n requires a fast CPU to run. The game has bugs that need to be fixed.

what is the resolution u play on? Me 1680x1050 if i put Texture settings to Medium, 1360x768 (through safe mode in Start, Games, Play More Options, idk about XP) if i put Texture settings to High (after i reset the settings all over again, just go to the regular shortcut on desktop n the settings will stay, no need to go to safe mode). It stays in the middle of the screen showing native pixels but a black box all around the screen, which is pretty cool.

Actually he doesn't need a quad for gaming. An e8500 or e7200 will do. I oced my e7200 from stock to 3.8ghz in gaming and my frames improved maybe by 1fps. The cpu isn't a bottleneck.

gonna have this tomorow sooo pumped !!!

FYI, to get the Texture Quality to High, go to Start > Games > click GTA4 > go to top n look for Play - More Options > Play (Safe Mode).

once u have the desired settings u want, u dont have to go back to Start > Game etc etc, just double-click on the desktop shortcut to GTA4 n ur good to go. I thought i would just remind u how to do it is all.

beware though, u would have to lower the resolution to get the Texture Quality on High if the Resource Usage in GTA4 doesnt show 1GB; less than 1GB will result only on locked Texture Quality - Medium if u do not go through the Safe Mode option.

i play GTA4 at 1360x768, highest i can go unless i want to play in Texture Quality - Medium again. It does not stretch it across the screen, stays in the middle showing off the native pixels as if the game was windowed, and black bars go all around the screen too.

I'm hearing such mixed things... Can I play the game with decent fps on the rig in my signature? Or else I might just save myself time and money and get it for 360. (I play on 1280 x 1024)

Actually he doesn't need a quad for gaming. An e8500 or e7200 will do. I oced my e7200 from stock to 3.8ghz in gaming and my frames improved maybe by 1fps. The cpu isn't a bottleneck.

GTA4 in particular uses all 4 cores so thats why it was under the recommended system requirements. If anyone were to build a system today I would recommend going quad core at the very least because its much more likely that more games in the future will adopt actually utilizing the quad cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom