getting my laptop "fixed" so i can play games

Status
Not open for further replies.

damiancds

Baseband Member
And not the neutered kind of fixed either...

Ok, I don't want you thinking i'm some idiot, so, I've got a few games installed on my laptop (fallout 2, diablo 2, homeworld) and they're not really demanding games, so i know the hardware could handle it. the laptop is a t61p (received from school(rpi) when I attended) and it has a quadro fx 540m for graphics. when i run diablo 2 on it, it starts, but then comes up with an error (about directdraw failing to initialize) so I go into run and go through the dxdiag. It states that there's no problems and everything is running fine. I've also tried downloading and installing drivers for the quadro fx 540m with no luck (says it has the newest). I've also tried all of the compatibility options and run as admin options. Oh, I'm running on vista ultimate (32bit I believe).

So what I'm asking is if anyone else went through this or has any ideas, I'm open. I've got a 3 hour ride to and from New York City every sunday, and it would be nice to kill some time playing games I enjoy.

Thanks

It would be best to buy a desktop for your games. Laptop computers are not suitable for gaming (even though some claim that they are).

It would be best to buy a desktop for your games. Laptop computers are not suitable for gaming (even though some claim that they are).

However games like Diablo II Fallout 2 would have no problem running on the most basic of laptops as they are not that demanding. Not sure about OP's luck on HomeWorld. However I have managed to run games like EVE Online (earlier version) on a Toshiba Satelitte A300 with intel gma graphics

That was a broad statement that is very "uneducated." You say a laptop with dual GTX280M in SLI isn't good enough for gaming? Yes, they are VERY expensive, and probably not available to most people in the PC gaming market, but there are several cheaper laptops that do very well at gaming. Those are priced very competitively, when you factor in portability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom