gas prices WAAAAYYY up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Katrina oil prices are high because demand=supply, now after Katrina demand>supply

supply will never likely ever exceed demand ever again, not if growth continues which it cant for too much longer since the two are directly tied together

civilizations have risen and fallen because people still dont understand geometric doubling and a very very basic logarithmic function

scary part is, even facing overwhelming evidence to the contray, many people think unlimited growth will continue indefinitely

The US has screwed itself, it has built an unsustainable way of life that will later in history be looked at as the biggest misallocation and misuse of resources in world history.Unfortunately, it will use military power in a futile attempt to delay the inevitable instead of dealing with this in a responsible manner.

Well we tried to bring up the idea of RTG-powered cars...but people are so damn paranoid about the word "nuclear" that it won't ever fly.
[SARCASTIC JOKE ALERT] Get into an accident and you've got another hiroshima on your hands! [/SARCASTIC JOKE ALERT]

Warning: The above is represented as something to not be taken literal. Failure to abide by these rules will result in brain cells being killed, migranes, seisures, and in some rare cases death. Do not take if pregnant or otherwise mentally incompetant as it is not only dangerous for your health, but the health of others around you as well. Be well john sparton

Igetshockedalot said:
Are you in Sweden, Norway, or Denmark? The Helpa (I can't make an o) gives it away.... P.S. my hot-ass wife is from Sweden, that's why I ask...

U cant make this Å or å

:D Im From Norway

and i tought the gas prise wud gives it a way :):confused:

I dont remember it now. but i think it is away to make å on an us keyboard. u just have to pres like 3-4 keys at the same time

horndude said:
The US has screwed itself, it has built an unsustainable way of life that will later in history be looked at as the biggest misallocation and misuse of resources in world history.Unfortunately, it will use military power in a futile attempt to delay the inevitable instead of dealing with this in a responsible manner.
What country doesn't use oil?

Furthermore, what country, the relative size of the US?

╦xPδ I can make cool symbols too.

Shoobie, third world and even second world country's barely use any oil at all.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Shoobie, third world and even second world country's barely use any oil at all.

But they can not afford such luxury's as cars, and if they did, they will use alot more fuel. But the US have fuel drinking 4X4's that will be lucky to do 20mpg. What is needed is for everyone to use practical family cars, like saloon's, that do over 30mpg, then it wouldn't be so bad.

ShoobieRat said:
What country doesn't use oil?

Furthermore, what country, the relative size of the US?

Your missing the point.

No other country on the planet uses as much energy per capita while having the means to conserve energy usage.No other country on the planet has built an urban sprawl and living arrangement that cannot work without abundant cheap energy inputs.Basically urban sprawl and auto based suburbs cannot survive indefinitely, when the price of energy gets high enough, suburbs die. Now that world oil production is roughly equal to demand the price will climb, fairly quickly, but way too quickly for the US to deal with it, its taken decades to make the problem, we dont have decades to fix it. The US has literally put all its hopes on a finite energy source while acting like it will never run out, no plan for the future whatsoever.The US is one of the most ineffcient bloated countries on the planet and its all based on cheap energy.The energy binge is about over.

Also because of criminal money mismanagement by the US over several decades the US has a debtload it cant service without continued growth, nor can it maintain its military and dollar hegemony for much longer. Back in the 70's when the US became a net importer of oil and the dollar was taken off the gold standard things started in motion that will destroy this country financially sooner or later.Peak oil production will be what breaks the camels back so to speak.Growth and energy are directly tied together, almost in a linear relationship, remove the growth of energy input and economic growth comes to a screeching halt.

But the US have fuel drinking 4X4's that will be lucky to do 20mpg.
20? Try 15, if you're lucky. My wife's Expedition gets up to 19 if it is all interstate driving (with or without air, I dunno).

People aren't willing to give up their SUVs yet.

And just went we thought that petrol prices where bad enough all ready......

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16659580-2,00.html
Howard to increase petrol tax

PETROL excise is set to rise from January 1, hurting cash-strapped motorists even further.

The "capped" 38c-a-litre petrol excise will funnel revenue straight to wealthy petrol companies to subsidise environmentally friendlier fuels.
The scheduled increase - first announced when petrol was just 90c a litre - will go ahead despite motorists now being paying more than $1.30 a litre.

In a blow to truckers and farmers, diesel excise will also be raised from January 2007.

An Australian Taxation Office memo obtained by The Daily Telegraph shows preparations are under way to sell the "Cleaner Fuels Grants Scheme" to motorists and industry.

The scheme, conceived by Treasury in 2003, is designed to encourage oil refiners to supply low-sulphur fuels.

In 2003 the Government said the estimated rise in excise would be 0.6c per litre on all petrol - or about $120 million a year - and 0.7c on all diesel to subsidise extra refining cost of around 1c a litre.

The extra revenue will come on top of the $1 billion GST bonanza the Government will reap this year from soaring petrol prices.

ATO assistant commissioner of excise, Beth Barry confirmed the changes were on the table and would run for two years from January 1.

"The raising of the excise duty provides funding to allow a grant to be paid to support the introduction of cleaner fuel standards in Australia," Ms Barry said.

The initiative encourages manufacturers and suppliers to upgrade facilities and produce petrol with 50 parts per million or less of sulphur.

"This arrangement will be extended to diesel from 1 January, 2007," the memo said.

Prime Minister John Howard is under intense pressure to provide relief by lowering excise. Mr Howard and Treasurer Peter Costello have painted their decision to cut 1.5c a litre from fuel excise and cap it at 38c a litre.

The Government, oil companies and the ACCC have all declined to attend a summit on petrol prices later in the week.

ACCC boss Graeme Samuel - who last week said there was "something funny" about fuel prices - yesterday rejected calls for a broad inquiry into spiralling petrol prices.

He said there was no evidence of "unconscionable conduct" by refiners.

"Given that petrol prices in Australia are reflecting international factors and are being set according to international benchmarks it is highly unlikely that any particular sale of petrol at these internationally determined prices would be held by a court to be one party taking advantage of another and therefore unconscionable conduct under the TPA," Mr Samuel said.

There are some days that I am glad I do not own a car.

The problem is if we do increase the petrol prices, every thing else goes up as we need petrol in order to get goods and services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom