Gaming processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, most of you are wrong. While, I can see where Pzero is coming from, cuz I had that feeling too, but we both have crazy overclocked processors so we don't know whats what.

Buying a 7800GTX for a Duron (well, Duron wouldn't even run BF2 cuz of the instruction sets) would be like buying a 10 liter bottle (the 7800GTX) to hold one liter of water (the Duron). You end up with a LOT less than what your should get. A better processor would be like having more water.

Processor DOES make a difference in gaming. Mostly, its because newer processors like the Pentium 4 and Athlon 64s have certain "instruction sets" that some games need to be able to run. For example, you can't run Age of Empires III with a regular Athlon CPU (not Athlon 64) because I think AOE III requires the MMX instruction set. This isn't an issue for newer processors.

But still, even if the processor had all the instruction sets, a 2.0GHz Pentium 4 won't run BF2 at max, no matter what videocard you have.

But I digress.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8GHz processor) will be fine. The 3500+ (2.2GHz processor) is only .4 GHz faster, and its easy to overclock the 3000+ to 2.5GHz. Its just a waste of $70...

2 gigs of RAM will help you a lot more than a better processor. And since you already have the equivalent of a X850XT, you don't need to worry about the videocard bottlenecking.

Ste said:
Flanker, your wrong. Nothing in my computer is OverClocked. I had bad luck with it so I just stoped trying.

What are you talking about? I never said your processor was overclocked.

Flanker said:
but we both have crazy overclocked processors so we don't know whats what.

Thought you were refering to me and Pzero not you and Pzero.

And can you blame me, Ya know chicago school systems and all.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom