Fun with the Source engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't really get it lol everything you've said ultimately doesn't even amount to logic, let alone criticism.

I mean honestly, how old are you? You complain about whiny kids in CSS, but you've only become worse than them. All I can gather is that you have big problems with valve games and the rep they receive. So you start threads and take over threads with nothing more to attack than the graphics and the old engine because obviously we like the gameplay, so attacking that is a little moot, however, you seem to lack the understanding that we like the graphics and the engine. The graphics allow everyone to enjoy the games (friends who are not as fortunate as myself or who simply do not care to upgrade can play) and the engine is very well known and masted by a number of individuals so implementing a whole new engine is risky if done wrong.
And to top it all off you keep talking about how crysis is better and how games should be more like it, but that doesn't work because I, for one, do not want more games like crysis and I certainly do not want multiplayer games to follow that example.

You don't really get it lol everything you've said ultimately doesn't even amount to logic, let alone criticism.

I mean honestly, how old are you? You complain about whiny kids in CSS, but you've only become worse than them. All I can gather is that you have big problems with valve games and the rep they receive. So you start threads and take over threads with nothing more to attack than the graphics and the old engine because obviously we like the gameplay, so attacking that is a little moot, however, you seem to lack the understanding that we like the graphics and the engine. The graphics allow everyone to enjoy the games (friends who are not as fortunate as myself or who simply do not care to upgrade can play) and the engine is very well known and masted by a number of individuals so implementing a whole new engine is risky if done wrong.
And to top it all off you keep talking about how crysis is better and how games should be more like it, but that doesn't work because I, for one, do not want more games like crysis and I certainly do not want multiplayer games to follow that example.

wow this will be fun.

I mean honestly, how old are you?
19, thanks for asking.

You complain about whiny kids in CSS, but you've only become worse than them.
I don't see how, they scream on the vent servers and ruin everyone's game. I tend to avoid multiplayer, and the LANs I go to are pretty fun and end well.

All I can gather is that you have big problems with valve games and the rep they receive.

Not a huge problem. i only got annoyed when I noticed it was 5 years later and people were still paying top dollar for cheap technology. Doom 3 came out the same year, and it hailed as one of the best games ever. I don't know the last time I saw someone playing or talking about it.

So you start threads and take over threads with nothing more to attack than the graphics and the old engine because obviously we like the gameplay, so attacking that is a little moot, however, you seem to lack the understanding that we like the graphics and the engine.

You don't like gameplay, you like Valve's gameplay. There is a big difference. There are a lot of great games that came out recently that have really great gameplay and replay factor. Somehow you regard HL2 as better.

The graphics allow everyone to enjoy the games (friends who are not as fortunate as myself or who simply do not care to upgrade can play) and the engine is very well known and masted by a number of individuals so implementing a whole new engine is risky if done wrong.

HL2 isn't the only game with low sys reqs. The Cod2 and Cod4 scale pretty well on old hardware. I was at a LAN party the week after CoD2 came out. Some guy had a GeForceFX5200. We installed CoD2 and he ran with decent fps at 1024x768 on medium settings. Anyone who knows how much the Geforce 5 cards sucks knows that this was a feat. Oblivion can do the same. There is a mod called OLDblivion, and it looks pretty good.

Also the argument for engine understanding is moot. Companies adopt new engines all the time. Most do it every 2 games or so. Valve is the major exception.

And to top it all off you keep talking about how crysis is better

I never once said Crysis was better. I said they were both good. I have played through both and own both. Do you even have Crysis? you have a lot of criticisms about it. I hope you do. Otherwise all of your posts mean very little.

because I, for one, do not want more games like crysis and I certainly do not want multiplayer games to follow that example.

Good thing the industry doesn't listen to you. Crysis sold many copies and is a success. You can bet there will be more games that use its engine in the future and the technologies that Crytek developed will be used.

Not a huge problem. i only got annoyed when I noticed it was 5 years later and people were still paying top dollar for cheap technology. Doom 3 came out the same year, and it hailed as one of the best games ever. I don't know the last time I saw someone playing or talking about it.
So that is the whole issue right there? The orange box was just on sale for $10. Every Valve game ever made ($203.82 total) is in a package deal for $100 this is not a limited offer either. L4d is on sale for $24 and has already had a price drop despite record sales beating those of the Orange Box.
Old games? Do not get my started on how I feel about Quake 3 or id then. Q3 is the best multiplayer game ever made IMO. That's a '99 game with text files acting as wall textures.

Doom 3 was not what Doom or Doom 2 was. Its not valve, it it just that I like certain games from certain developers.

I never once said Crysis was better. I said they were both good. I have played through both and own both. Do you even have Crysis? you have a lot of criticisms about it. I hope you do. Otherwise all of your posts mean very little.
I do own Crysis aswell as Warhead.

Good thing the industry doesn't listen to you. Crysis sold many copies and is a success. You can bet there will be more games that use its engine in the future and the technologies that Crytek developed will be used.
Or it does seeing as the games I love are among the most popular in the world. L4d sold 1 millions copies more than crysis fyi. Crysis is an above average game, however, i found it to be full of over hyped game play and flawed multiplayer. Maps are far too big, movement is sluggish, and no one plays it.

So now that money is no longer an issue, do you care to pull out another leg to stand on? Or should we just beg a traveling mod to close this thread?

So that is the whole issue right there? The orange box was just on sale for $10. Every Valve game ever made ($203.82 total) is in a package deal for $100 this is not a limited offer either. L4d is on sale for $24 and has already had a price drop despite record sales beating those of the Orange Box.
Old games? Do not get my started on how I feel about Quake 3 or id then. Q3 is the best multiplayer game ever made IMO. That's a '99 game with text files acting as wall textures.

Doom 3 was not what Doom or Doom 2 was. Its not valve, it it just that I like certain games from certain developers.

So now that money is no longer an issue, do you care to pull out another leg to stand on? Or should we just beg a traveling mod to close this thread?

Quake 3 is a landmark. You have no argument there.

That is perfectly reasonable. What I am getting at is this; Valve is a company like any other. They are fallible and don't make perfect games. They have been making games on an insane profit margin for several years now and people eat it up. Its cool if you like it, but the reverence I see given to Valve on a regular basis confuses and annoys me. It remind me a lot of Apple in that sense. People paying for something unextraordinary, claiming it is just "better" and then worshiping the company. That's not the way things work. You buy and play your games based on the quality of the games, not the name of the company.

Quake 3 is a landmark. You have no argument there.

That is perfectly reasonable. What I am getting at is this; Valve is a company like any other. They are fallible and don't make perfect games. They have been making games on an insane profit margin for several years now and people eat it up. Its cool if you like it, but the reverence I see given to Valve on a regular basis confuses and annoys me. It remind me a lot of Apple in that sense. People paying for something unextraordinary, claiming it is just "better" and then worshiping the company. That's not the way things work. You buy and play your games based on the quality of the games, not the name of the company.

But you have to understand this, for me, and a good number of people, crysis is good for 1 play through and little else, but when the 6 million+ people bought the retail HL2 they also got CSS and a huge mod community along with it and those 2 perks have stretched incredibly over the years. Just because these games maybe old or simple has nothing to do with the actual response the buyers will show. Half my friends bought HL2 just for CSS, and that has proven to be TOTALLY worth it.
It has nothing to do with liking company just for their rep, its the products that makes the company what it is.

Or it does seeing as the games I love are among the most popular in the world.

Only if you love Halo 3 and GTA IV, Left 4 dead looks like a flop when compared to their sales. Halo 3 sold 3.3 million copies in its first 12 days and had sold 8.1 million copies ~3months after launch. GTA IV is even more impressive selling 3.6 million copies on launch day.

But you have to understand this, for me, and a good number of people, crysis is good for 1 play through and little else, but when the 6 million+ people bought the retail HL2 they also got CSS and a huge mod community along with it and those 2 perks have stretched incredibly over the years. Just because these games maybe old or simple has nothing to do with the actual response the buyers will show. Half my friends bought HL2 just for CSS, and that has proven to be TOTALLY worth it.
It has nothing to do with liking company just for their rep, its the products that makes the company what it is.

Crysis and L4D sold about he same number of copies in the same length of time. I wouldn't say L4D is any more popular. It's just fresher in our memory.

L4d sold 1.8 million in 2008 and 2.5 in 2009, and Crysis has sold 1.5 as of 2008.

Only if you love Halo 3 and GTA IV, Left 4 dead looks like a flop when compared to their sales. Halo 3 sold 3.3 million copies in its first 12 days and had sold 8.1 million copies ~3months after launch. GTA IV is even more impressive selling 3.6 million copies on launch day.
Nope, I don't really love those.

Actually Halo is pretty sweet, I mean its probably the best FPS on consoles and its best of the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom