From 1 to 2 SSD's - Improving system performance

Proxiton

Beta member
Hi,

I recently built my first computer. Currently I only have one SSD, a HyperX Savage 480GB. I've installed Windows in addition to all software on this one drive. I'm somewhat concerned that this is causing performance issues, due to the amount of read/write from this one drive on startup and in general. The time from logging on to being able to open programs takes longer than I've gotten used to on other computers with SSD's.

I have ordered a second SSD, a Samsung EVO 850 500 GB.

My experience with, and knowledge of both hardware and software is limited.

I am looking for any practical advice on what I should do once the second drive is in place, in order to maximize data performance. Should I use one drive as a system drive and keep data strictly on the second?

If it is relevant to make changes to the Windows install, I am wondering if I may do this without having to format and re-install everything from scratch? And if so, how?

I am running Windows 10 64-bit.

Thank you in advance for any advice! :)

Last edited:
Performance will slightly decrease if you keep the SSD full and it's pretty typical for Windows to start becoming sluggish after a while too. Best thing to do is offload your games and some programs over to the secondary SSD to let the OS TRIM the drive.

Thank you kindly for your reply!

I do have about 200 GB left on the 480 GB drive and I do experience this general sluggishness while the computer is in use. The computer is only 5 months old. I was thinking it was the drive working too much, but I'm also wondering if it may be something else...

I'll wait for the new drive to arrive and move games and data to see if it helps.

If it doesn't I believe I may be in need of some more assistance.

Thanks again!

I have now installed the second SSD and moved some software and data to this new disk. The general performance appears to have improved and I am not experienced the lagging that I did whilst playing games and or using the computer otherwise. I have no other changes to the system.

Thanks for the help! I hope this thread may help others with similar issues.

Back
Top Bottom