filesharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedHelpWRT54G

Beta member
I'm having the same problem... that's why I'm coming over to this forum

I've the same problem... Linksys WRT54G router with 2 notebooks and 1 desktop. I had the 1st notebook (Win XP Home) and the desktop (Win98SE) long time ago... the two talk to each other via the router with no problem.. however, when I add the new notebook (Win XP Pro) recently, the new notebook (Win XP Pro) can't talk to the desktop or the other notebook (Win XP Home)... all three have their indivdual IPs like 192.168.1.102, 192.168.1.103, and 192.168.1.104 however... and all three can access the internet with no problem at the same time..
but my problem is that the new notebook can't communicate with the other computers in the network... At one time I had the rare luck of making the new notebook talking to the desktop... but not the other notebook... after a while... I guess... after my router rebooted... the new notebook did not recognize the desktop any more... it's so complicated...
BTW, I'm using PC Anywhere to share and connect the computers together... I had no clue with Windows XP's VPN.

For some reason, I think the network doesn't like 192.168.1.101... so, I configured mine to start at 192.168.1.102... with the 192.168.1.101 ip, even my old notebook which works with the desktop doesn't recognize my desktop when the notebook's ip is the 101 one...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

I'd kind of like to see the results of an "ipconfig /all" for both of those. Make sure the netmasks are the same on both for one thing. Also, XP Service Pack 2 is turning on the built-in XP firewall. Not sure it that firewall has a rule to allow file sharing or not. If you have the firewall turned on on one or both of those machines, try switching it off for testing.

Yea, I'd be more inclined to check out the xp firewall as well. Is it turned on?

try this:
control panel->performance and maintainance(something like this)->administrative tools->local security policies(or something like this) to "open the local security settings".
double click "local policies"->"account previlage assign", and check the list of each one. Especially about network access.
btw: I'm using WinXP Simplified Edition, so the terms used above may not be exactly the ones your computer shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom