File/Print Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulf

Solid State Member
I currently have 2 computers that share the same internet connection via router and would like to share certain files as well as the same printer from the main computer.

I've tried many of the instructions I found on the web, but cannot get it to work. I disabled the firewall protection on the main computer and began the home/office networking wizard, but it always ends with some kind of spool error. Can someone offer up some advice as to the very first thing I must do to get this going? I'm trying to take it a step at a time, but am confused as to where I should actually start first.

If anyone knows a site with a good step-by-step writeup, that too would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jon

Sorry, I forgot to add --> Windows XP Pro. Good information - I'll be going over it right now! Thanks!

Now when configuring the Tcp/Ip properties, should I use something specific in there? I currently have it set to "Obtain Automatically" for both the IP and DNS. Thanks!

I can now see the second PC on my main PC, however not the other way around. When going through the network wizard, I keep getting the following error: "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close."

It seems as though there's something in the main computer that's preventing it from networking with the other - any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon

Sounds like your print spooler service is pissed off. Try stopping that service and then run the wizard.

Okay, I disabled the spooler service and the network wizard went through without any errors. Afterwards however, it didn't ask to reboot but I did anyway but the second pc still cannot see this pc and I cannot share anything without an error that the service was not started. What should I try next?

No, they're both different...
Pc #2 had no problems going through the wizard and can be seen and accessed by Pc #1. Pc #1 however will not set up, nor will it allow sharing without the "error occurred...service not started" error popping up every time I try to allow sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom