Facebook notification noise is jumping from wireless to cable?

JoetheGrim

Beta member
Okay, first of all: I'm new here, yes, I have experience with fixing electronics and am often called upon by my close relatives for just that; but I'm not well versed in working with networks.

What is happening to me now is just crazy.

It started this morning, everything seemed normal, nothing out of the ordinary. then I received a facebook notification sound (that ping that tells you you have a new message or notification. when I checked there was no new messages. I thought it must have been just a tiny bug on their side, nothing to worry about. Then it happened again... and again... and then it happened while the facebook tab in my browser was closed... and then it happened while my browser was closed. I have tried the picking through the task manger, the browser process was off and still, I got the sound notification, I'm still getting it.

Then I looked to my side and my sister was on the laptop, on facebook.

We were both getting her notification sounds, through both of our headphones.

As I said, I'm not very good at working with networks, most of my limited experience is with software; but I can't understand how or why this is happening.

The laptop is wirelessly connected to our ADSL while the PC is connected via cable. Similar things haven't happened before and when I checked the volume mixer, the sound spike was showing under Device:Speakers.

Both systems have Windows 7 Ultimate installed, the laptop is 4-5 years old Compaq Presario CQ 62 while the PC has the following:

h3jg3q4.png

The network was last configured by myself a few month ago; the ISP was implementing some changes and every home with an internet connection had to change like this:

GlzBCQ7.png

(left is the connection before change, right is the connection after the change; sorry for the foreign language)

UPDATE: Having my sister switch off the notification noise on the laptop is working so far, but I want to get to the bottom of this before it can possibly get worse.

Are you sure that some else isn't logged into the computer with facebook open while you are logged on?

That was it... that was all it was.

Oh, God, and I told her to always log off when leaving the PC.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

That was it... that was all it was.

Oh, God, and I told her to always log off when leaving the PC.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Good!!

Ya here at work several people are logged into one computer and we always get that issue.

Back
Top Bottom