Extemely slow downloads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Mediacom Cable Internet - 15Mb

Connected Directly to modem

Windows XP

I'm having problems with my download speeds. I have cable internet, with 15Mb download speeds. I contacted my ISP about it, and they said everything looked fine, they'll just send a Tech. out, but not until Friday. I don't have the time to wait around for them, so I'm going to try and remedy it myself (With the helps of others of course). I don't have any tweaks done, and haven't had a problem with it for the past couple weeks. The only time I ever see a my advertised speeds is around 3-10a.m., usually after that it's still around 10-13Mb. Right now I'm getting speeds of 363Kbps. Ping time is pretty high, at 142ms. The test server is only about 5-6 miles from me and the cable company. I usually have a ping time of around 40-55ms.

Attachments

• share2-G09BPCDAH.png
    share2-G09BPCDAH.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 50
Are you wireless ? If so, are you near a wireless telephone ? They sometimes operate at the frequency that a wireless router does. Yeah, a 147-second ping is huge. Must be something hardware-wise going on, expecially since the ISP said the network looks good to them.

Sometimes when DNS servers are having a problem, you can ping an IP address and get a response, but if you type an URL in the address bar of the browser, it will hang there. If that happens, it could be a DNS thing. BUT, you said the ISP said it all looked good. The situation I described happened to me once. That's how I found out. I'm thinking you have a hardware situation though.

op is directly connected to the modem.

it could be that the connection you're on gets a ton of traffic and use during the day which would kill your connection speeds and would explain why you're speeds are up during the night when nobody in their right mind is up ;)

also give your modem a good flip and reset it. that might help

I stop messing with test my net 18 months ago when I went to 15mbps from 5mbps. it kept telling me that I was getting 6-7 mbps (I was cussing my isp out about this too) when the simple fact was at that time they couldn't test that fast of a speed.

I started using speedtest after that. my isp testing site was telling me that it was as fast as advertise, but I went 3rd party site as that could have been a gimmick from them. as you can see from my signature, it's now faster than advertised

My area doesn't have all too many people, so it shouldn't be that much slower. This morning I checked it at Speedtest.net and I'm getting 27Mb. I'm getting a constant 10.5-11.2 from testmy.net.

Attachments

• 369835665.jpg
    369835665.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 31
  • share2-0YRIAZNMH.png
    share2-0YRIAZNMH.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom