Explorer won't recognize my connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper01

Beta member
I am using a wireless connection at a hotel and it normally picks it up fine and i am able to use the internet however... today i did a windows update manually by checking for windows updates through help and support and it updated explorer for me to 7.0. When it did this my wireless connection was suddenly not being recognized by explorer and i just get "The page cannot be displayed". I tried restoring my computer to an earlier time to go back to the old version of explorer and it still will not recognize my connection and i still get the page cannot be displayed message. I tried an online game out and it connected to the internet just fine and i was online playing but explorer still will not connect. Is there anyway for me to restore explorer to defaults or anything to fix this problem? besides system restore...

Also at some point through this when trying to connect i got a message telling me WinSock needs to be restored to defaults because some part of it may be missing or damaged *sigh* (I allowed it to be restored to defaults which included having my pc restarted but no changes seem to of been made) .... what can i do to fix all this? and why does it only effect explorer yet everything else goes online? Please help me figure out what i can do!

Note that i am at a seperate pc now asking this so any installs or updates etc that may fix this have to be done from the desktop because i am unable to access any possible updates etc that may be found at an online source... Thanks for any help.

Check to see if you can ping a website. Open up command prompt and do a ping to get some replies.

Example: ping www.google.com

Then check the explorer setting. Control Panel>Internet Options>Security Tab. Make sure those are at default setting, if they are too high they might not allow you to connect.

Check the privacy tab, make sure the cookie setting aren't too high. Medium is good.

Check the Connection tab>Lan setting button. Make sure nothing is check and no entry are added for the proxy server.

Other options: Download Firefox from another computer and transfer it to your computer. Use Firefox to connect to the Internet.

Firefox link Firefox - Rediscover the Web

You can try and reinstalling IE 7
Get it here Internet Explorer: Home Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom