Exotic/ Classic/ Unusual/ etc car sighting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That GT2 is definitely a wrap. Look at the bottom of the skirt how it got nicked and you can see the real paint beneath it, you can also see a little bubbling on the rear bumper where some air got trapped. I have seen a few wraps before. Cool way to get effects that are very expensive to achieve with paint. Almost all flat black cars are wraps simply for the sake that few people do flat paint jobs, and it's a lot easier and cheaper for the same effect. It also protects the car and going back is as simple as peeling it off. Wraps are getting more popular so you see them a lot more than you would have 2 years ago.

Im not seeing the bubble on the gt2 i see either a picture fail or thats dirt but the nick on the skirt could just be exposing fiberglass since its white.

No one sane would wrap a car of that caliber and expect to get away with it

1 your door jams would show

2 engine compartment

3 fakeness you'll just look like a tool

01slsamggt3quail.jpg

SLS AMG GT3 race car. That isn't polished metal, it's a wrap. I think it's mere existence and how good it looks refutes all of your points.

It does not refute my point the door jams (and engine compartment im sure) are white
and this car your showing is a race car and is meant to look over the top.

Race cars are some of the few examples where wraps are ok because i don't expect them to custom paint a car that's, basically, disposable.

Im speaking in everyday terms maybe i should have clarified that point.

I wasnt arguing that people don't wrap their "normal non race" exotics/supers/sports
I was saying in the words of hmammen it "looks hella gay" and it'd be stupid.

my final point

If your going to spend that much money on a car and you plan on babying it and not pro racing it to where you can cause damage,
paint the whole **** body the right way and don't be a cheapskate on a car you don't deserve.

It does not refute my point the door jams (and engine compartment im sure) are white
and this car your showing is a race car and is meant to look over the top.
Well they did have to get it ready in a hurry. Polishing that much metal is hard.

Race cars are some of the few examples where wraps are ok because i don't expect them to custom paint a car that's, basically, disposable.

Actually liveries are a big deal with race cars. Pretty much all of them are painted with the logos of their sponsors and for 30 years now BMW has sent an "art car" to le mans where they hire a famous artist to paint it all crazy stupid.

Im speaking in everyday terms maybe i should have clarified that point.

That's what wraps are best at

I wasnt arguing that people don't wrap their "normal non race" exotics/supers/sports
I was saying in the words of hmammen it "looks hella gay" and it'd be stupid.

well that's an opinion. since most people don't send their cars to shows having the engine bay matching isn't a big deal. hellt he engine bay in my fiat purposely doesn;t match the outside color and its all painted.

my final point

If your going to spend that much money on a car and you plan on babying it and not pro racing it to where you can cause damage,
paint the whole **** body the right way and don't be a cheapskate on a car you don't deserve.

Opinion. Wraps are far and away cheaper than an equally good paint job. A lot of people don't like them and would rather paint it for the reasons you pointed out, panels gaps, door jams etc. but a lot of people don't get frame up paint jobs anyways so it isn't always true. The advantages of vinyl wraps are cost, ease of going back and they act as a protective layer to the real paint below.

And just to show you it doesn't look cheap, here is a wrapped BMW.
img_6170.jpg

NO I AGREE ABOUT RACE LIVERIES!!! lol
I love the art car and I watched the gt cars this year just for that car and flying lizard.

I know I made an opinion about it, I guess I see your point and my general acceptance of wraps is just less than yours

I can respect the outer beauty of a good wrap job and the ease but I'm finicky about trim and engine compartments (unless they're blacked out on purpose like alot of custom builds).
IMO I just think at that caliber of car the extra work and money is worth stripping the chassis and repainting.

You made a good point though about it being protection. I could see that say if your a weekend racer so I'll give you that.

How about this guys... There is nothing better than a clear coated all carbon fiber body.

6-12611-koenigsegg-ccxr-limited-edition.jpg

I love me bare carbon fiber. I was at a drift competition about 20 miles form dayton Ohio two weeks ago and a guy had a wrapped AE86 called the chezzit. it was orange with the shiny finish that reminded me of a fish or a candy wrapper. I don't think you could do the same effect in paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom