Error On Hard Drive When Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

icu222much

Solid State Member
Recently, for the past few weeks, when I turn on my computer I would sometimes get the error that there is an error detected on my hard drive and Windows will try to remove this error. Every time, WIndows is not able to remove this error and then does a system restore which sometimes works.This error will appear while Windows is trying to load up. I am wondering if this is some sort of bug with Windows, or is something seriously wrong with my system?

I have scanned all of my partitioned twice for hard drive errors, but the scans shows that there are no errors. I have also defragged all of my partitions. I have not installed any new hardware on my computer since I have purchased it. My computer is two years old.

I am on Windows 7 Professional.

If ti was a bug with Windows, more people would report it. ;) Considering i am running Win7 and i dont have this issue and have not had this issue since Nov when i installed my copy, it means there is something wrong with your system.

Go into the command prompt with Admin right (Right click select Run as Admin). Use these 2 commands.

chkdsk /r /f
sfc /scannow

The first command will require a restart. The 2nd command will check all the files for integrity.

Thank you. I scanned my computer and it did find a few bad sectors and I believe it did fix it. Also, the Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. Are there other tests that I need to run to ensure my system is safe?

You can try a tool like Drive Health. It can check your drives and make sure that they are in decent shape. But the chkdsk that you did is the major one.

So my computer is fine right now since I scanned it for an error with chkdsk? So in the future, if my computer reports an error, i should run chkdsk and sfc?

I would use the Drive Health tool just to make sure that the drive is good. There could be something wrong with it that the scans are not detecting. But other than that you should be good to go. If the problem comes up again i would run those scans first. See if they help.

Sounds great. Thank you.

Curious, why does this problem happen in the first place? Is my hard drive dying?

I dont know. That is why i suggested to run the Drive Health. It will tell you such information. It could be teh drive is sying, could just be a few bad sectors. Without running the software i cant say anything for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom