embarassed to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

faek

Baseband Member
Ok, I'm sure there's a super basic answer, but I'm not as skilled when it comes to setting up a connection.. so here goes:

Basically, I just built a computer and am setting up the connection right now [LAN]. Under network connections, it only displays my firewire connection, and a wireless connection I setup [driver on mobo cd]. I'm not going to use wireless yet, nor can I, so a basic cable connection at the moment is fine. So how do I set it up? I'm thinking it just requires installing a driver or something, but am unsure right now. I have a LAN cable going into a port on my motherboard, the lights indicate a linked connection [at 100 Mbps].

Also, under "network connections" there's two categories of connections, 'Connection Manager' and 'LAN or high-speed internet'. The LAN category only shows my firewire port and wireless connection which I'm not using.
Under Connection Manager, there's a greyed out icon: "MSN" - unavailable - device missing. Again, I'm an admitted noob when it comes to connections here.. so might that be it? Sorry if I didn't provide enough of the right information, thanks for helping.

Refer to your drivers CD or go to your motherboard's website and download the driver for your ethernet card.

In Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager, do you see an "Ethernet Controller" with a "!" next to it? That is your ethernet card. I'm guessing that is what's showing up if it's not shown in Network Connections.

Ok, so ethernet card isn't even shown... I haven't bought one yet. But I thought it was still possible to connect, I mean, I didn't have one on my last PC [but suppose there could've been some other software/hardware to compensate?]. So yea, I don't have one yet.. I guess I'm hoping that's the answer :dead:

Is there no other way? [I have NO problem buying a card this minute, I'm just trying to learn here as well :cool: ]

ok, but I don't need an ethernet card since it's integrated right? on the asus cd that came w/ the mobo [M2N32-SLI Deluxe], there's just a driver for the wifi, so i'm still stuck on how to get those lan ports recognized [by windows?]. argh

solved

Ok got thru it... i needed to install an nvidia driver from the asus cd.. i thought that driver was to assist the chipset in communicating w/ other nvidia products, so didn't have it installed. Oh well, learned something and it's behind me now. Sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom