DVD trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fudleone

Baseband Member
Greetings All.

I understand if this has been answered many times before.

i have an mpeg file off a camcorder. i would like to burn this to DVD. Nero seems to ask for .ifo, .bup or .vob. i understand there is a folder structure when burning a dvd.

what file format is dvd recognisable? i can find no FAQs on burning or file formats.

if anyone has links to help or any suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Don Fudleone

Burn it as a VCD. Mpeg (1) is VCD format you will gain NOTHING (except hours of wasted time) trying to convert it to mpeg2 then AUTHORING to create the required Vobs etc to make a DVD...plus wasted money and a steap learning curve................

What you want to do is use something like TMPGenc (free for VCD usage) or even (at a lower quality) Nero (using the VCD option in Nero EXPRESS)....it will convert the MPEG file to a COMPLIANT mpeg stream before burning.

NOTE. What the file is captured in (ie... your mpeg) DOES NOT mean it is compliant to any standard .....mpeg/mpeg2/avi (mpeg4) are only COMPESSION types they DO NOT MAKE anything in their virgin state.

Thanx Roho.

So i understand that the quality of the 18gig home video, captured off a DV Camcorder, is no match for DVD???

there have been so many Outlets and PC manufacturers advertising the ability to record DVD video, on DVD writers, yet the quality is only that of a VCD. Furthermore, there is no guide as to how the original plan of burning a dvd video is documented ANYWHERE on the internet or as instructions bundled with the recording device/software.

i understand the full process of VCD creation, but ultimately, DVD must be the new way forward.

Don Fudleone

Hold on a mo, your first post said you had a mpeg file..........you now say you have a 18gig file (I presume its an uncompressed avi) which is something totaly different...I doubt its mpeg.............

So what type of file have you got? What did you capture the DV with? Whats its resolution?

A rough guide of resolutions (a lot can be concluded from resolutions):

If its 352 X 240 (NTSC) or 352 X 288 (PAL) its good for VCD's.......typically mpeg files.

If its 480 X 480 (NTSC) or 576 X 480 (PAL) its good for SVCD's (mpeg2)...which in the real world is pretty dam close to DVD quality WHEN viewed on a TV at typical distances.....but no 5.1 sound............but how many people make AC3 recordings on a camera anyway..........................................anyone?

If its 704 X 480 (N) or 704 X 576 (P) its DVD quality (mpeg2)....plus borders to create 720 X 480/576

In between sizes are not standard and are usually covered by .avi's (mpeg4's).

To go for a higher format from a lower resolution is possible but there is usually no point you will not gain anything...............although millions of salesmen will try to convince you that you will.

As for guides THERE ARE THOUSANDS ON THE INTERNET...........if you cant find them....well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom