DSL: Hooking up 2 computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army11b

Baseband Member
Hey all was just curious, I have a 2nd computer and want net on it and have dsl.. What do I need to "split" it to work on both comps? Also if I do that, will it split the bandwith of my connection, half for each comp, or will it be the same speed as it is on one? Thanks!

Matt

And technically you'd want a switch. or a switch/router combo. Always assuming you already have a router, but it doesn't have enough connection points for your two pc's. Just connect that router to your new switch, and connect the two pc's to the switch.

what's the purpose of the switch?

can't all this be done wirelessly?

depends on whether the OP wants a wireless network. Sounds like he has a dsl router already, with the problem being he only has one 'internet' ethernet port on the router. If that's the case, a switch would definitely be a better option, as opposed to another router. Remember, switches are faster than routers.

depends on whether the OP wants a wireless network. Sounds like he has a dsl router already, with the problem being he only has one 'internet' ethernet port on the router. If that's the case, a switch would definitely be a better option, as opposed to another router. Remember, switches are faster than routers.

Sounds more to me like they just have a normal DSL modem. In which case, a router would be a better option. Maybe we should just find out from the OP what they have ;).

what's the purpose of the switch?

can't all this be done wirelessly?

Yes, it can be done wirelessly. But if they are desktop computers, do you really want to be wireless?

What you need to accomplish the task at hand (whether wireless or wired) is a router. I haven't seen a router to date that only has 1 port, but I'm sure in the past they were more existent. Anything you get will almost guaranteed to have at least 4 ports in the back. These 4 ports in question are what you can plug into the other computer with. Therefore, both computers will have internet connection.

Right now you have a DSL modem. The DSL modem has 1 port. That 1 port is where your computer is plugged into. When you hook up a router, you want to disconnect that port... and that port on the DSL modem will get plugged into the "WAN" port on a router. Then, the other 4 ports in question, will go to your other computers... in which you having 2 computers will only need to use 2 ports to get both of them online.

Note - When setting this up, you might want to look into wireless security as well. It's more important than you would think, but it's pretty easy to set up. Just look around in the documentation and look for instructions in helping you with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom