DOS System

ok, thanks for the reply's. ksod-yes, typo on dosbox. Again, I have electronic equipment that is serviced by computerand the programs all run in DOS.

Now, we have these programs on several machines because of the 2gb partition limit.
This means that by the time we all the techs together and count the laptops, (that are failing), we are looking at 20-30 new computers with 2gb HD.

What we would like to do, is get two computers per tech, one for a DOS o/s (DOES NOT NEED TO 6.22) that we can load these programs onto, OR even one computer with daul boot, with a DOS partition of at least 4gb and then Win on the other partition.

Now, we have tryed loading DOSBOX on a computer and then even thru the program has a HDINSTAL on it, we copy the file to a folder in WIN.

Some of the programs run just fine, others do not even wish to wake up.

Even tryed the VM, some results.

Even tryed setting a logical DOS partition and was not able to access it.

As long as I can get a workable DOS on a 4gb partition, I DO NOT CARE WHAT VERSION IT IS.

I'm wondering if FreeDOS would work for you...it has larger disk compatibility, but it's strange.

FreeDOS Wiki Page said:
FAT32 is fully supported and used as boot drive. Depending on the BIOS used, up to four LBA hard disks up to 128 GB, or 2 TB, in size are supported. There has been little testing with large disks, and some BIOSes support LBA but produce errors on disks larger than 32 GB; a driver such as OnTrack or EZ-Drive resolves this problem. FreeDOS can also be used with a driver called DOSLFN, which supports long file names (see VFAT), but most old programs before Win95 do not support LFNs even with driver loaded unless they have been recompiled. There is no planned support for NTFS or ext2 or exFAT, but there are several external third-party drivers available for that purpose. To access ext2fs, LTOOLS (counterpart to MTOOLS) can sometimes be used to copy data to and from ext2fs drives. NTFS support is partially provided by software such as NTFSDOS and NTFS4DOS.

From what I can tell, it can be installed as a standalone OS, you just burn it to disk and pop it in the drive, it pretty much does the rest. It states it's "mostly" compatible with MS-DOS, you'd have to go through and see if there's anything in there that wouldn't work for your programs...but the way I see it if all else fails, you can use this for most of your programs, and maybe be stuck with the limitations of your current machines for whatever isn't supported, since that will still cut down on the number of machines you have to use.

FreeDOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project

Update on this problem.

After trying several differant DOS programs,(freedos, drdos, etc), I have completely removed all of them from the computer, installed a bigger HD, installed my WinXP-Pro, build a subdir called DOS-programs, installed all the DOS programs into the subdir, then loaded DOSBOX and made shortcuts for each program on the desktop.

Now just click on the shortcut and it takes us to the program.

Have spend the last week using this method and every things has been good.

Back
Top Bottom