Doom 3 Problem No One Can Solve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. The only things we have in common are:

NVidia video cards w/Forceware drivers (I use a 6800GT)
Windows XP operating system

My friend's computer is running an ATI video card, and I believe he uses Windows 2000.

I wish I could swap out my video card for another one to see if I get the same problem with an ATI, but I don't have access to one. Do you?

I've got an ATI and it works fine, on the other hand I have a really old nvidia card in my other pc and it's always done what you described.

chinagreenelvis said:
Maybe I should have gone with ATI instead of NVidia.

No, NVIDIA is meant for Doom 3. The people I have heard of with NVIDIA cards haven't had a single problem with Doom 3. ATI cards and Doom 3 result in loads of framerate problems, and you dont want to go there. Try turning FastWrites on if its off, and if its on, try turning it off to see what happens. Also, try disabling your dual channel support, just do see what happens. Before everybody flames me, dual channel doesn't provide an overwhelming advatage for AMD processors.

m3trj said:
Doom 3 is optimised for nVidia, ATI will not give you as good performance.

beedubaya said:
No, NVIDIA is meant for Doom 3

Doom 3 was essentially created using the OpenGL API. The grapevine has always had it that OpenGL-based apps in general perform best on nVidia-based GPU's... Regardless, Doom 3 is not 'optimised for nVidia' or anything like it I believe. If you can stand the pace of what John Carmack said in his QC2004 speech, one thing he said does stick in my mind about the consumer platform at the time: "...the NV40 makes things slightly easier for me...(BUT both the) R430/NV40 both do the job, I could work with either one of them...(ATI and nVidia) as usual aren't agreeing on certain issues; it's over stupid, petty little things...". So I think we can safely assume that Doom 3 will work well with a powerfull ATI card just as well as an nVidia counterpart. In fact, if I remember correctly, the original [H]ardOCP Doom 3 benchmarks showed that the Radeon X800XT was barely behind the 6800 GT/Ultra (the kind of difference that you couldn't care less about).

I haven't played around with the different rendering modes in Doom 3 ("r_renderer [best, arb, arb2, cg, exp, nv10, nv20, r200]"- taken from http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html), maybe something there could make a difference... Could just be some bizarre DX9c issue... could be many things...

chinagreenelvis, like I have already said an ideal place to post this problem is on http://www.doom3world.org/. I could post it for you, but I've ran to those guys with so many Doom 3-related querys recently that it'd be nice to hear a problem from someone else ;)

When I strafe left and right I too also notice a slight "snag" as you call it. Honestly, I think it's just stress put on your processor and you shouldn't worry about it. However, my "snag" might not be as bad as your "snag" :D

HAHAHA The truth comes out that ATI is better then NVida lol j/k No i have noticed that a keyboard will sometimes make stuff skip if there is too much input depending on the keyboard. Mine will snag in the first 2 min of the game because it takes time for my Ram to catch up with the load so haveing slower ram could be a problem.

Seems like no one can solve this. I recognize this problem, but don't know how to solve it. Another useless post by me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom