Doom 3 expansion - **** *** ATI!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can complain about 4fps seeing as thats what he payed $400 for.. thats like what.. $1 for .04 of a frame... lol.. rip

I would like to suggest contacting the MFG. It may sound like a dead end but if you can make it clear to them that you're going to talk sh*t about their graphics cards for the rest of your life, you might get some results. Be sure to let them know that they're getting a lot of bad publicity in these forums.

I got a camcorder once that had "issues". I called, emailed, mailed until some one finally had enough and sent me a brand new one for free. In my final letters and e-mails i made it clear that i would NEVER purchase another product from them and i would do my best to convince ANYONE i knew to boycott them as well. I think when they heard that, they decided that a new $500 camera was worth it to them.

PS: I still love ATI and their graphics cards. I get 60+ FPS with Max settings on Doom 3.

hercules_upw said:

PS: I still love ATI and their graphics cards. I get 60+ FPS with Max settings on Doom 3.

Yeah, thats the difference the 4 extra pipes make. I usually average about 35-40 fps or so at those settings, but I have these massive slowdowns in the game occasionally like what you see in the screenshot.

hercules_upw said:
I would like to suggest contacting the MFG. It may sound like a dead end but if you can make it clear to them that you're going to talk sh*t about their graphics cards for the rest of your life, you might get some results.
Or you probably will more likely just get hung-up on. They don't have to listen to your crap, and if anything, they're just gonna sit there, nod their heads, and then brush you off with nothing. Being an arse on the line never gets anything accomplished.

I'd suggest you either examine ALL your hardware and drivers (including your soundcard). If everything is up to date and running smoothly (try a benchmark or two), send the card back. That's all we can say.

Yeah seriously, the card is less than a year old. Pack it up and send it back to ATi with a letter enclosed explaining how the card performs choppy in these situations.

They'll either refund you your money, or send you a better card. You can't just sit around and hope that the problem just fixes itself.

I had a Lite-on DVD burner I bought about a year ago, I found it couldn't burn DVD-Rs for some reason, I sent it back to Lite-on, and they sent me back a fully refunded check with a letter of apology. Exercise your options mate. ;)

Yeah.

It seems like everyone thinks hardware manufs. are out to get them for some reason, despite the fact that the real scams and poor treatment almost always come from the vendor, not the manuf.

Call them up and have a chat. I'll bet you they will try to make you happy. The cards are bad, but they're not THAT bad. Something's definately wrong.

I really just need to quit expecting so much out of my X800. Although I paid $400 for it, its no where near a 6800 GT and I need to quit expecting that kind of performance out of it.

Its quite common for the Pro model X800 to experience these problems in Doom 3, first because Doom 3 was coded to have an advantage on Nvidia hardware and second, because the 12 pipes just can't keep up in this particular game, most likely because of the shadows and the massive fill rate requirements to be able to render shadows with the kind of detail the shadows in Doom 3 have. And this card is just going to keep getting worse because the Pixel Shader 3 era is upon us, and much of the eye candy of future games is going to come from Pixel Shader 3 effects.

This is why everybody I know who bought the X800 Pro has already exchanged it out or sold it and got a 6800 GT.

then find a place in town that will exchange it, or auction it off of ebay and with the money from the auction, buy a 6600 or a 6800 class card.

on ebay, you'll probably be able to sell it for at least $250 or $300 for BuyNow. that will shave off that much extra money for a new GeForce 6 Series card. and with that new GeForce, you'll have better image quality in games like HL2 (soon to have HDR lighting), Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Parallax mapping like unreal engine 3).

dam, i expected the x800 pro to be shyt, but not that bad... i think you will have better luck with the 9600XT, and that is like 4 times cheaper... how could they rip people off like that???

by the way, you posted other problems with lag... kind of gets me suspicious that there is something else causing the problem than just your card.. i mean your computer is good, shouldn't be that bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom