Disable internet explorer on remote pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

godwinson

Beta member
Hi all, i am trying to disable ie on a remote computer on my office lan. My colleague can be a lazy *&%$ and I need to stop him looking at the internet all day! (without him realising i'm doing it). Someone I spoke to told me to use mmc so i open mmc\add snap-in\group policy editor then try to navigate to the remote pc I get a message which says access is denied, you may not have appropriate rights. I have created an administrator account on the remote pc so when prompted i put in ipaddress\account name\account password but keep getting this message.
I am a novice at this stuff so go easy but i would be really grateful if anyone could help!
Of course if anyone knows of an easier way to disable ie (and be able to re-enable it!) on the remote pc from my pc then I would love to hear it.
Thanks in advance

Hello,

This wont be able to be done remotely. You will have to go access the PC. Maybe when they are on lunch or before they get into the office.

Cheers,
Mak

Think your best solution would go through your server / router to accomplish this. Use a specific IP for his machine and deny access to the web during that time through your router / switch / server.

remove it in the add remove window components. or disable access to it in the set program default section. it hides it then

Disabling IE will just instigate the installing of Firefox or whatever. I like the idea of firewalling that PC at the distribution point better.

Disabling IE will just instigate the installing of Firefox or whatever. I like the idea of firewalling that PC at the distribution point better.

how can you instigate what your can't find. you need to find the net to install firefox. this will work on a basic computer user. on an expert it won't

how can you instigate what your can't find. you need to find the net to install firefox. this will work on a basic computer user. on an expert it won't

So what's to keep people from bringing software from home?

One way to "break" IE is to set IE up to connect to a non existent proxy server using any local IP address. IE will still open but will connect to nothing. This should draw less suspicion then hiding the browser. This should last a little.

One way to "break" IE is to set IE up to connect to a non existent proxy server using any local IP address. IE will still open but will connect to nothing. This should draw less suspicion then hiding the browser. This should last a little.

well post that idea instead of knocking other people's idea. the whole intent is to help godwinson.

well post that idea instead of knocking other people's idea. the whole intent is to help godwinson.

Don't want to have a fight going on here now, you two ;).

Kurrent: Eric was meaning to disable IE to baffle the more casual/basic computer user. Most basic computer users don't even know there's other browsers other than IE out there, so how would they know to bring a portable FF or FF installer with them?

Both ideas I think are fairly good; The proxy idea would deter a normal user, and maybe put a bit of a roadblock on a more of a pro until s/he checks the IE settings. Both ways are not fool-proof on a pro, but are good for deterring a basic user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom