Dell XPS 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inked

In Runtime
Didn't really know where to post this so I decieded here. Do pre-built systems i.e. Dell HP Toshiba have the OS on the HDD or the Mobo.

The os will always be on the hard drive. It is not possible to have the os on the motherboard directly. (with the exception being express gate on some Asus motherboards)

Well, that's not true... unless you have a copy of the Dell discs, you would, as the OS that comes on the drive is set for propietary parts (the drivers) and you won't be able to just copy it off of the drive itself. But if you have the disc then you can use that and load windows up.

Oh well they didn't give me any disks, I just looked through all my computer stuff. I found a piece of paper that says "Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or drivers CDs". If I contact Dell would they give me a CD, more than likely not worth a try though.

Oh well they didn't give me any disks, I just looked through all my computer stuff. I found a piece of paper that says "Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or drivers CDs". If I contact Dell would they give me a CD, more than likely not worth a try though.

They'll make you buy one. You're going to have to get an OS from somewhere if you decide to upgrade.

If you call them up, they should send you the cd's at no charge. I know a few different who did this. They should send it to you without any trouble.

I guess by not sending them when you buy the computer, they save money, I don't know. They hope people don't call about it.

What do you mean by "upgrade"? If you want to install a different motherboard, the Dell restore disks wouldn't work. You'd still need to buy a Windows XP install disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom