Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockOn626

Solid State Member
See i know quite a bit about the world of computers, but I know theres some stuff out there I dont know about. I just need to say that before I tell this story....

Today I was on my AIM account, and one of my friends got emailed by a creepy guy. He wouldnt leave her alone, so I got on and got him thinking I was a girl who liked him, then told him off...I know its wrong, but no ones messes with my friends ya know, I really didnt think it would be any harm done. If it happened to me, i wouldnt care for more then 2 or three minutes. Anywho, I block his AIM name, and suddenly I get another AIM from someone I assume is him, but is a different AIM. He begins to threaten my life, telling me he will "Come to my home and slit the throats of my family" "Ill cut you up so you really are a girl". Now I know this kid was probably trying to be tough, or something, but the thing is you have to be pretty messed up just to say that right there, so who knows how much more messed up he is. My friend had asked him where he goes to school, and its around where I live, but he has no idea who we are, so its beside the point. Still, he claims that he can trace my Adress through my AIM name, I know thats pretty impossible, I mean he may be able to acquire my IP, but im sure he would need to recover a government grant to find my address, etc. But as I said before, I dont know everything thats out there on the net, and some programs or websites may offer the service illegaly. The only reason I am worried is because of how close he lives.
Now my second question is, could I report him to the AOL services for what he has said. I believe A death threat, is a death threat, no matter what media it is sent over.
Lastly, there is the chance he could figure out who I am from just word of mouth, so theres always still a chance.
I reinstate that I know its a 99% chance hes talkin crap, but theres always this little chance that its real.

Thanks for reading all that, if you do!
~Peace~

You are right, a death threat is a death threat and he may be prosecuted for uttering them. Ifyou haven't deleted the log file with the message, don't delete it. Report this to the police as it is a serious matter. If he is only a kid, they will straighten him out (hopefully).

Ok, well, he is totally talking some major crap....By the quotes and whatnot. But even so, call your ISP involved and tell them to NOT deliver your name to anyone. They have to protect you by law!
And...if it gets worse....then call the police dude.

-Mike

I don't think an AIM log file is legally binding because you have no actual proof that it was him who made them. Its likely he did obviously, but you can't prove it, because other people probably have access to his PC:confused:

Well i know that there is a special police group that patrols internet chat rooms and suspected soliciters. Report the guys AIM name to an officer and if they see him they might pay a little more attention to him. Rule of thumb is, never talk to anyone that just pops up and starts talking to you, ignore them imediatley. Good luck man.

yah and do what mike said make sure your name isnt mentioned otherwise you kind of just made it worse. But really i would not be to worried about it. The odds of someone tracing YOUR ip to the correct location and coming down to kill you because YOU had to of said something to him first are slim to none.

I checked my ISP's Rules of conduct, and they are by law not allowed to give out my name or address, so Im sure i will be fine, thanks for your help!
~Peace~

The way I see it a lot of people figure they can get away with saying things like death threats over the net. If he persists I would contact the police but I bet he's just bs. And ya the guy must be seriously messed up to say something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom