Copy Programs?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i am in the middle of doing a final backup of my old desktop. i would like to make copies of a few programs that came factory installed on this machine. but i am not sure if i can. or if they would even work, being as this machine runs Vista, and i will be setting up the new computer with Windows 10. i like the way that this version of solitaire, and paint work much better than the new ones. also, the light-scribe and roxio programs that came with this computer. i am sure they are in the system recovery discs, but i do not think i can just pick a few programs out of them to install. i think i have to do a full system install. at least i have never found a way to do it. is any of this possible? and if so, how? i really doubt it will be as simple as copy and paste.

Re: COPY PROGRAMS???

Generally no, you can't copy programs. You don't necessarily know what DLL's it's depending on (or even if they're all in the install directory), not to mention registry entries.

Solitaire and the like...I believe those can be ported over. Just have to do a quick Google search to find out how. Paint...I'd be iffy about. Pain in Win10 is pretty much the same as Win7.

The Roxio and Lightscribe applications I can see being more difficult as they are larger installs and most likely have registry keys, so a "copy paste" wouldn't necessarily work with these.

Re: COPY PROGRAMS???

yep, pretty much what i was afraid of. once i get the new one up and running, search hard to try to find programs. the solitaire and paint are not big deals. but i would like to use the lightscribe anyway.

Back
Top Bottom