cooler.... horx. or vert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_Jedi

In Runtime
I just got a new 360 elite game of the year edition that came with halo 3 and fable 2. This is my first 360 and was wondering if the nyko intercooler ts is the best cooler to have... also is it better to have the console vertical or horizontal?? right now I have it vertical because i have no room to lay it down... i could make the room if I had to but prefer not to.

First, the intercooler is a waste of money. They have been known to cause issues with the power brick and connection to the motherboard, thus frying the system as a whole.

Second, the main air intake vent to cool the system is the bottom if verticle, the right side if horizontal. It is best to keep it horizontal if at all possible to allow as much air to get into the system.

It's better to have the console horizontal because it cools much better and there is less of a chance that your disks will get scratched.

As far as the intercooler I would say your better off without one. I had one and all it did was create more issues. As long as you have good airflow you won't have to worry about overheating because the 360 fans are good enough to keep it from overheating.

All the intercoolers I have seen hook up between the power brick and the power port on the actual xbox.

NVM, Guess they finaly decided to re-design the pos.

I would say horizontal. I would also ditch the Intercooler, it's not the greatest design as far as cooling goes, putting fans on top of other fans isn't a great idea to begin with, and the Intercooler's puny fans barely put out any air compared to what the inside fans can. The power connection was never an issue after the EX series though, the problem was the original Intercoolers had plastic plugs that sometimes shorted out. Power drain isn't an issue though, I ran an Intercooler EX and 203W console off of a plug-modded 175W brick and it ran fine without problems. With the extra power of a 203W brick, I don't see how the Intercooler's power draw would ever be a problem. The problem is in the design. If it attached to the side (intake) vent instead of the back and blew COLD air INTO the console it'd be good.

I say horizontal because the main intake vent is the side (gray) one. If you use that as the base then that vent is completely blocked, leaving only the smaller top and bottom vents exposed. The hard drive side has a small vent but the DVD drive blocks most of it inside the console. The vents on the bottom are mostly blocked by the metal frame and motherboard (frame has holes in it but motherboard doesn't) and the top vents have to go through the frame as well. The side vent has to go through the frame too but it is big and allows a lot of air to flow.

well i managed to find a place to put it horz. as for the cooler.... the field seems to be split... i knew the older ones were no good but the new intercooler ts, most people in reviews and such say it is the best thing out there and how it lowers temps by 11 degrees C or more... well thanks for all the input... keep posting if you have anyother ideas.

Most the time that they measure temps, it is the out side plastics, which would be easy to cool compared to the internals due to the way it was designed.

The inter cooler isn't worth it, just make sure you have good air circulation behind your xbox 360. The fans inside the 360 are way more powerful then the small ones in the intercooler. Plus what happens if a fan in the inter cooler dies and you don't know about it? That just makes it a heat trap which will make your 360 overheat more.

IMO stay away from the intercooler the extra fans are not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom