Considering Getting a MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I'm considering getting a MAC. I will not bother spending my money on a brand new since I'm a first time MAC user. I found this on eBay and it looks tempting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51034&item=5748572599&rd=1

Can I upgrade graphics cards with this? Will it allow for good gaming? How much upgradability is there? Is it a good system for the price?

Or should I really consider getting a new one? What MAC can I get for the same price range?

Can I use any monitor?

Megadeth2 said:
Can I upgrade graphics cards with this?
Certainly! There are a number of Mac-compatible video cards miles better than the card originally installed.
For the particular model that you want, three types of cards were used throughout the production run: RADEON 7500,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, and NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium, all of which are out of date.

Megadeth2 said:
Will it allow for good gaming? How much upgradability is there?
As for now, Windows is the gamer's platform. But an increasing number of good games are becoming available for Macs.

Since it sounds like you want to upgrade it, the first thing you need to do is get your hands on two system disks---one Mac OS 9.2 disk, and a Mac OS X disk. Since the eBay listing says that it comes with no system disks, and I'm pretty sure you want to replace that hard drive (which, BTW, is IDE), they will be crucial in getting it running again.

Megadeth2 said:
Is it a good system for the price? Or should I really consider getting a new one? What MAC can I get for the same price range?
IMHO, that is an OK deal. The only way you can get a new Mac for cheaper would be to get a brand new Mac Mini.

Megadeth2 said:
Can I use any monitor?
According to Apple's website, any VGA or ADC (Apple Display Connector) monitor will work with that model.

Ok, is the Mac Mini worth it or no? I'm not going to game on it, I was just wondering. Basically, I know Macs are extremely good at media and photo work. Is that true? What are the advantages for a Mac over PC? Is it worth buying?

Yes, the Mac is extremely good at media and photo editing. iPhoto and iMovie are very good apps. As for advantages of Mac over PC, the Mac tends to run faster with a lesser processor speed, locks up less frequently (I have NEVER had to restart a Mac running Mac OS X; that's how reliable it is), and, in general, looks much better than a PC!

Megadeth2 said:
Ok, is the Mac Mini worth it or no?
I really don't know. It's cheap, but I've heard the upgrade possibilities are limited (however I don't know this first hand), so to me, the jury's still out. But other people may feel differently.

personally i think the first ebay Apple G4 is WAY too expensive. thats a crapload of money to pay for it. you can build or buy a custom-pc that is verry high-end and extreme for gaming with a really nice case for that price.

Guys, I'm not a PC gamer. I use my PC for stuff other than gaming. I use it for extreme animation and other power apps. Hey wait, can a Mac do animation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom