Considering a switch to Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtslegacy

Baseband Member
I have been considering building a new computer but I am now getting familiar with the apple/mac. I would like a nice multi-use pc for the family and a high end laptop for myself that I could hook up wirelessly (internet). Any advce?

The 17 inch PowerBook G4 is the best portable in Apple's lineup. So for a high-end laptop, that would be your best choice.

And for a family useable computer, I would suggest a 20 inch iMac G5. And with the iMac's new FrontRow feature, you could easily hook it up through a home theater system to enjoy your DVD's and homemade iMovies. :)

All together, these might run you a total of $5,000. :)

How does that 17 inch G4 power book do in comparison to other notebooks out there? I s good for games as well. I do lan to do much high intensity gaming. I temd to lean toward being a power user instead.

I would advise waiting until January to see what gets announced...they are in the process of switching CPU architectures, and it wouldn't be advisable, particularly on the laptop side, to get something that may become obsolete in as little as a few months. Not that it will stop being supported, but especially if you want performance, you might not want to be purchasing the last generation of G4-based laptops for example. Waiting until January would allow you to better evaluate the situation.

If you're a gamer, make sure the games you play are available on the Mac platform. Many, unfortunately, are currently not.

I s good for games as well. I do lan to do much high intensity gaming. I temd to lean toward being a power user instead

If you intend on doing any serious gaming stay away from a mac. You will have to wait an extra 3-4+ months for games to come out IF they even release it for the mac platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom