Connection Priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abele

Baseband Member
Can any one tell me the connection Priority of network connections.

For example, If I connect to a VDSL router directly with a cable, and 11g 54Mbps card, all the traffic goes through the cable, no supprise here. Disconnect one (card or cable) and the connection usually just swaps to the working one.

Now I connect with another ISP via a dial up account, and wait for it supprise, all traffic goes through the dial up, and the VDSL router does not even register a blimp. Why? Where is the logic????

I was orginally thinking, great have both dial up (Dial up is very very cheap) and VDSL connected all the time, and the PC would work out which is faster and use that. And since my dial up account never has kicked me off for long connection times, and any case it would just redial the connection when it's dropped, ( and since VDSL has not been all that stable. ) I would always have a fall back connection, and thus can share this connect with other PC's at home. (Believe me, I have heard so many the complaits about the lack of Internet connection at home.)

Is it possible the tell XP Pro, to use one connection over the other and also only download on one connection, and only up load on the other connection.

This is a bit confusing, but do you have a router with dual wan ports? The way I see you need one of these that supports load balancing, and you need a PC with a 56k modem as a gateway outside of the router.

I have a DSL-G604T which has a 10/100mb 4 port router, that has ADSL and wireless built in. So in theory I could have 10 or more connections to the router. 4 by ethernet and 6 by wireless.

So I am connecting using, wireless, ethernet and dial up. Wireless and ethernet connects the the router which connects to one ISP, dial up uses the laptop built in modem, to another ISP.

Thus the laptop, has 3 connections going, dial up, wireless and ethernet, connecting two to different ISP's

Hope this makes it clear.

It's clear now, but that setup doesnt really work.

You could possibly configure it with ICS, but you are doing something very irregular

Don't think it's all that irregular. I have heard of people setting up PC's just the same way, so that there is always a connection. I know it's possible with two network cards. Just can't find any thing about doing the same with dialup and ethernet.

I know that Wireless and Ethernet operate using very differently, so loadsharing is not possible, ( At least from what I have read, maybe things may change in time ) So downloads ( ie ftp) will have to be restarted, because IP address is changed, if one connection fails. But the connection will change over, when restarted. Same for Web Pages, but hitting refresh will just work fine, and no one would ever know.

In this case, I would think Ethernet would take all the connection first, and dialup none, untill the ethernet stopped in which case the dialup connection would just take over. ( Assume dial up enabled and is connected all the time) But this is not the case, Why?

Let me explain:

I firstly connect with VDSL router and ethernet, only. Internet connection.

Result: view web page using VDSL.

Second: Now connect with dial up also, Internet connection, Result

Result: View Web Page, but now ethernet carries nothing at all, all data is over dialup connection only. ( With no indication that dial up is now carring all data, unless you look at Windows task manager and network graph)

Third: Disconnect dial up connection, and wait a few seconds. View web page.

Result: View Web Page over VDSL, with only a message box to indication that dial up is lost, other wise it's business as usual .( With no indication that VDSL up is now carring all data, unless you look at Windows task manager and network graph)

Why? and how do I change it so it works the other way around. XP Pro, seems to handle swapping over to the other connection, with little problems. I just want it to work the other way round. What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom