Connecting a Wireless Router in a new house

vikyjain

Beta member
Hello Folks,

I recently moved from an apartment to a newly built house. Builder told me there is a module box where i could keep my router connected centrally for the whole house to get the Internet. When i opened that module box it has lot of ethernet cables. But my ZyXel router needs a wire in the line (phone port) to get connected. how the question is how can i connect my router in that module box. I do not see any phone port there.

Sounds like you have a DSL modem/router combination.

Does the house already have a modem / internet service provided with it (is this what was meant by a 'module box'?)? If not, you'll need to contact an ISP to setup internet and either buy a modem that will work with their service, or rent one from them.

No, I think i did not explain my issue correctly earlier. My newly built home has this Honeywell MDC8T8RJ, Combo 8x8 Passive Coax/Phone Distribution Module. Centurylink said I am all set to go online since they have given my home access. Now I am left with my ZyXel modem to connect to the distribution module. The ZyXel modem has a line input which is a phone port (RJ45 is what it is called i believe not sure though) but my Distribution module has CAT5E cable. So That is why i cant connect those cables to the modem. Now how do i connect that wire to the modem? Do I have to get some sort of converter?

No, I think i did not explain my issue correctly earlier. My newly built home has this Honeywell MDC8T8RJ, Combo 8x8 Passive Coax/Phone Distribution Module. Centurylink said I am all set to go online since they have given my home access. Now I am left with my ZyXel modem to connect to the distribution module. The ZyXel modem has a line input which is a phone port (RJ45 is what it is called i believe not sure though) but my Distribution module has CAT5E cable. So That is why i cant connect those cables to the modem. Now how do i connect that wire to the modem? Do I have to get some sort of converter?

RJ45 = Cat5e connector.

RJ11 = phone connector

If CenturyLink said you're good to go, then why do you need a modem? I guess I'm not familiar with the module setups, so I could be wrong here. Does it work if you just plug a PC straight into one of the ethernet cables coming out (just to test)? If it does work... then you'll just need a router (not a modem).

Is Century Link providing you with DSL or coax broad band service?

Edit: looks like it is a DSL service?
http://www.centurylink.com/help/index.php?assetid=135

have you looked inside the distribution box to see if there is a century link modem installed?
my AT&T modem has a green cable that connects to the wall as a RJ45 and the opposite end of that cable is RJ11 that connects to the modem/router (ADSL internet). I think you need that cable if your using you own modem/router

Last edited:
vikyjian can you take a picture of the full panel so that we can see what modules you have?

You should have a module for phone, cable and possible either connects.

Normally a network switch and/or modum is not included in these panels.

If you post a picture, it will be much easier to quide you thru the hookup.

Back
Top Bottom