connect 2 windows xp without a hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite understanding the link to the document. that would be setting up a workgroup, but says nothing about how to setup WITHOUT a hub.

to answer the actual question, you could use a cross over cable. these are easily made with some cat5 cable, some cat5 jacks and a crimper; if you would like me to go into detail on how to make one i can.

Are you just trying to connect TWO PC'S to eachother, or are you trying to share an INTERNET connection through one of the PC's??

If you are trying to share an INTERNET connection, you will need either one of the following:
1. have a SECOND available NIC card (or extra ethernet port) on the PC that the internet will pass through (between the connection, and the 2nd PC)...

2. Get a switch or router to share the connection (MUCH easier to use if you plan to expand beyond 2 PC's).

If you are just networking TWO PC'S to eachother, then simply connect them together using an ethernet cross over cable, and assign IP addresses to each.... (not sure if windows auto IP thing will work)...

ex: PC 1 - IP ADDRESS: 10.1.1.1 SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
PC 2 - IP ADDRESS: 10.1.1.2 SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

Then config the PC using the document that csamuels linked earlier.

so i just need to use crossover cable then just use static ip address for two windows xp. thank you very much for your assistance.

drewrockshard said:
I'm not quite understanding the link to the document. that would be setting up a workgroup, but says nothing about how to setup WITHOUT a hub.

it doesnt instruct you to connect the machines with a crossover, but should be implied from the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom