Computer -> Home Audio Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrag

Solid State Member
Ok I want to hook up my computer to my home audio receiver (sound system). The receiver is a surround sound receiver but doesn't have any kind of digital input; only like CD L/R inputs. I have a surround card on my computer...now to the question:

How would I be able to connect my computer to the receiver and get the surround sound out of the system.

If i went S/PDIF from my computer, to my DVD player (connected via L/R rca cables), to my receiver; would this work? Or do i just need to upgrade receivers and get one with better digital options.

Re:

Hello,

No...that wouldn't work. Your DVD player should only be capable of outputting digital audio through SPDIF, I don't think many can input.

If it could input SPDIF anyways, then the surround sound would only be downmixed or channels undelivered when delivered to the sound system via left and right RCA.

Firstly, does your sound system have more than two speakers :rolleyes: :confused: ? Like 4.1, 5.1 or more speaker setup? Sorry, must ask...for there are some Hi-Fi's or sound systems which only have two speakers, but dubbed Surround Sound capable because they can process and downmix multichannel audio, and emulate surround sound through a two speaker setup.

Is your sound system stamped with any surround sound specifications, like DTS, dolby digital surround sound or dolby digital pro logic? If your sound system is definately surround sound compatible, then it should either have a digital coaxial input, or SPDIF input on the back for multichannel support.

If it doesn't have any of these connections, but you are 100% certain that it is capable of delivering multichannel audio, then it is most probably Dolby Pro Logic capable. Dolby Pro Logic systems utilize the basic left and right RCA inputs. The common 3.5mm male to 2 L/R RCA cable delivers the multichannel audio to a Pro Logic system. However it is not as high quality as digital coaxial or SPDIF, because it is restricted to deliver multichannel audio through two channels.

Unfortunately, it is highly probable that if you only have a L/R RCA inputs (auxilliary) on your sound system, then it can only support 2 channel audio (Dolby Stereo). I don't know of many sound systems that use Dolby Pro Logic (though I do live in the UK :D ).

i think i have it all figured out...this is what i have accomplished so far..

I wanted to be able to hook up my Kenwood KRF-8010D receiver up to my computer to power my JBL 5.1 surround sound speakers. I have a Monster cable that i got at Radio Shack for $20 that is digital S/PDIF and plugged that into the digital input on my kenwood from my computers' S/PDIF output. Also, my amp needed AC3 signal so I got an AC3 decoder on my computer and set it up to output a 5.1 signal from my soundcard going to my amp. In order to hear the surround I have to play music and videos in Windows Media Player 9 and up.

All of this and the sound is great, a big step up from my computer speakers (in terms of everything). WinAmp doesn't utilize the surround and when playing music, the surround is virtual; though, I haven't figured out what exactly it's doing. :p For those people interested in this setup this is how much I have spent so far:
1) Kenwood KRF-8010D ($93 on ebay)
2) JBL surround speakers ($70 on ebay)
3) KLH sub ($75 @ costco) (freebee from parents, going to upgrade though)
4) Monster Cable Digital S/PDIF ($25 @ radioshack)
5) 60ft 18ga. wire ($8 @ radioshack)
Total: $270

bypass all of your computer ac-3 options (use spdif or passthrough) then you will DD sound.

those ac-3 decoder on your computer was made for if you didn't have dd on you amps or receivers

I would personally get a RealMagic NetStream 2000 MPEG 2 hardware decoder card (300) off of ebay for 15 to 20 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom