computer cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
I was just curious what programs you guy use to free pcs of things lime spybots,, registry issues, and all that bad stuff out there?

There are quite a few various spyware/adware removers as well as antivirus programs available along with a few but few note good registry cleaners. One freeware tried out recently seems to top other freebies and even the shareware versions of others. The Eusing free cleaner is available at Eusing Free Registry Cleaner: Safely scan and repair registry problems - Spyware FREE.

For cleaning up the hard drive itself you can use the freeware called CCleaner otherwise nicknamed the "crapcleaner" since it locates and removes a ton of useless empty temp folders left behind by installers and uninstallers. CCleaner - Home

Spyware Terminator replaced Ad-Aware for the most part here while Ad-Aware 2007 is kept on. The newer freeware sees regular updated builds along with providing an active guard around the system registry itself similar to a firewall. Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator

In addition to those mentioned here the forum sees stickies on various programs and tools in the virus-spyware protection sub forum. Virus - Spyware Protection / Detection - Computer Forums

Is use a combination of AVG (free version), Spybot S&D, and CCleaner.

But as eye has stated, there are tons to choose from, you just have to see which are effective and work for your situation.

The latest free edition of AVG 8.0 now sees an updated version of the old reliable Ewido adware blaster there since Grisoft bought that out. CCleaner is one way of freeing up a few hundred meg of drive space as well as clean out the IE history there.

The stickies will point out quite a few other anvirus programs as well as tools like HiJack This, firewalls like Comodo and Jetico Personal. Then there are special removers for certain lists of viruses Grisoft, Symantec, Trend Micro, and other software companies provide separate from their free and retail programs.

Trend Micro's House Call is a good one there. After a quick download and install the utility will go to work fast scanning through the entire system looking for bugs. Their retail antivirus software also contains antispyware and antiadware protection as well.

I gave Malwarebytes shareware version here a try while finding Spyware Terminator tends to find more as well as offering a shield much like a firewall around the regisry. Ad-Aware 2008 was another shareware not seeming to have a free version found like the 2007 version.

I am usually one-shotting a computer when I am cleaning it, so shareware and trials are not an issue for that. ;)

The same goes for special removers Grisoft and others provide for a certain list of I-Worm type viruses. Once a system is free of one you never leave it simply lingering around.

I caught the report on the bug in the latest update for AVG. I've been running it for several years now and never had a problem until seeing the 11/11 report about the update knocking the user32.dll file. Yet it was bound to happen sooner or later like with any other software. One little glitch in the coding and oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom