Completely Stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

socav

Baseband Member
I KNOW THIS IS LONG, BUT PLEASE READ. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!

Ok, so I'm the "tech guy" at work, even though I have little 'real' networking experience. Here's the network setup:

The network consists of 9 computers (most running XP Pro) all connected to a switch (Linksys EZXS16W). There is also a wireless router (D-Link DI-784) connected to it so that customers with laptops can wirelessly connect to the internet. There is no server.

Here's the dilemma:

We recently added a computer. I ran an ethernet cable from the switch straight through the floor to the computer, and everything worked flawlessly. Then, one morning, the computer said a network cable was unplugged. I checked everything, and everything was securely plugged in. I reset everything, also. I even made a new jack at one end of the cable where I thought I may have made a bad crimp. I tried different ports on the switch. I tried plugging another computer's cable into the computer and it worked fine. I tried plugging the 'bad' cable into another computer and it didn't work. So I thought it must be a bad cable. But then I plugged the cable into a LAN port on the wireless router instead of the switch, and the cable worked fine. I could connect to the internet, but not to the network. So I tried configuring some things so that it would connect to the network, but nothing worked. Then I ran a short cable (straight-through) from a LAN port on the router to a port on the switch, and played with some configurations some more. Then the computer worked perfect, internet and network, but the rest of the computers lost their internet connection, and couldn't connect to the network! So everything was reversed. After I got yelled at by the boss (he lost a long e-mail he was typing), I disconnected both the cables from the wireless router, reset the switch, and the internet and network connection came back to all the computers. Except for the problem one.

Right now, I'm totally confused by this. Some things are telling me it's a problem with the cable (but how could that happen???), and some things are telling me it's a configuration problem (but the computer has been restored to the factory settings!!!). Any ideas? Remember, the problem happened overnight. Nothing changed, at all. The only difference with that night was that AOL was left connected. But that couldn't have changed anything, could it? And even if it did, the system was completely restored!

Thanks for any help!

socav said:
Then I ran a short cable (straight-through) from a LAN port on the router to a port on the switch, and played with some configurations some more. Then the computer worked perfect, internet and network, but the rest of the computers lost their internet connection, and couldn't connect to the network!

Sounds like a network loop, where ARP packets dirrected to everyone get broadcast taking down an entire network, this is what you did with that cable.

Anyways, you could have a hardware problem with the computer...

Also what's your job title?

Well I work at an airport at an FBO where we fuel planes. That's my main job. But I'm also the most knowledgeable when it comes to computers so I have to deal with any problems that arise...

So if that were the case, how would I fix it?

It's like the same, but your onboard is having problems most likely...

Probolly some issue with the TCP/IP stack...

But if I plug a different cable in it, it works perfectly. The only problem is I can't keep the different cable plugged in.

Do you have a cable tester? sounds to me like the cable is bad. most likely the ends. Some times when you have dodgy ends they will work intermittenlty. could aslo be that the cable is crimped somewhere. Quick solution. Run a new cable.

I realize that that will most likely work, but it's a pain in the ass to run a new one...oh well. You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess...but I still wonder why it just stopped working all of a sudden...unless it was next to something really hot or really cold or a rat chewed on it...

A cable tester...no, we don't have one. Although sometimes the router has one built in, right? I know mine at home has one.

some do. I have seen all of the possibilties you listed above on several occations. rats and heat are the most common. A nice tester will tell you where a break in the line is. try redoing both ends of the cable one last time before running the new cable. amke sure a check that the wires have gone all of the way in the cap. I have had ones that barely made it to the contacts and that will affect performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom