Comparison of Win7/Vista/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Here you go folks. A article written by a 3rd party to compare the OS's on REAL functions. So this if for functionality and overall use of the OS. Just results for people who use a PC .

23 tests were done in all.

The tests

There are 23 tests in all, most of which are self explanatory:

1. Install OS - Time it takes to install the OS
2. Boot up - Average boot time to usable desktop
3. Shut down - Average shut down time
4. Move 100MB files - Move 100MB of JPEG files from one hard drive to another
5. Move 2.5GB files - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from one hard drive to another
6. Network transfer 100MB files - Move 100MB of JPEG files from test machine to NAS device
7. Network transfer 2.5GB files - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from test machine to NAS device
8. Move 100MB files under load - Move 100MB of JPEG files from one hard drive to another while ripping DVD to .ISO file
9. Move 2.5GB files under load - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from one hard drive to another while ripping DVD to .ISO file
10. Network transfer 100MB files under load - Move 100MB of JPEG files from test machine to NAS device while ripping DVD to .ISO file
11. Network transfer 2.5GB files under load - Move 2.5GB of mixed size files (ranging from 1MB to 100MB) from test machine to NAS device while ripping DVD to .ISO file
12. Compress 100MB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
13. Compress 1GB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
14. Extract 100MB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
15. Extract 1GB files - Using built-in ZIP compression
16. Install Office 2007 - Ultimate version, from DVD
17. Open 10 page Word doc - Text only
18. Open 100 page Word doc - Text and images only
19. Open simple Excel doc - Basic formatting
20. Open complex Excel doc - Including formula and charts
21. Burn DVD - Win 7 beta 1 .ISO to disc using CDBurnerXP
22. Open 10 page PDF - Text only, using latest Adobe Reader 8
23. Open 100 page PDF - Text and images, using latest Adobe Reader 8

The test systems

I've used two desktop systems as the test machines:
An AMD Phenom 9700 2.4GHz system fitted with an ATI Radeon 3850 and 4GB of RAM
An Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz fitted with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS and 1GB of RAM

The Results

02-01-2009-12-34-11.png

02-01-2009-12-35-16.png

Conclusion

The bottom line is that the more I use Windows 7 the more I like it. Sure, we're looking at a beta build here and not the final code, so things could change between now and release (although realistically final code ends up being faster than beta code). Also I still have some nagging issues relating to the interface, and some concerns that the UAC changes will break applications and other code, especially installers, but overall Windows 7 beta 1 is a robust, solid bit of code.

Sure, Windows 7 is not XP, and never will be (thankfully). And if you're put off by things such as activation and DRM, then Windows isn't the OS for you (good news is there are others to choose from). But if you're looking for a solid OS then Windows 7 seems ready to deliver just that - a fast, reliable, relatively easy to use platform for your hardware and software.

Source

ahh just like when XP first came out. a machine built for 98 was really not for running XP.. to now.. a machine built for XP does not run well with Vista.. only a machine built for Vista runs vista better than XP.

So my machine would actually run XP better since I'm not using Quad and 4 gigs of ram.

But looks like win7 will run on an E-machine ;) better than WinMe

looks like 7 will be the best one yet :D

Great Job Mak

Edit: will Win7 play my old DOS Games? :D :D

Does Windows 7 utilize all cores for startup for Windows? because otherwise that test system is exactly like mine (because my X2 4600+ is @ 2.4ghz, so if it doesn't utilize Quads, a Phenom 9700 would perform like a X2 4600+)

Wait a minute... I thought Phenom 9700 was never formally released because of the TLB bug... only the 9750 came out..

But thanks for the benchies

Well when I try to run them in the DOS shell it wont let you gives error.. will the Emulater work just as dos.. or a shell?

Does Windows 7 utilize all cores for startup for Windows? because otherwise that test system is exactly like mine (because my X2 4600+ is @ 2.4ghz, so if it doesn't utilize Quads, a Phenom 9700 would perform like a X2 4600+)

Wait a minute... I thought Phenom 9700 was never formally released because of the TLB bug... only the 9750 came out..

But thanks for the benchies
Remeber this is a benchmark test done by a person from CNet. They have parts that may or may not be released. But from what i can tell. Win7 doesnt use all cores when booting. Cause my boot time is faster in Win7 then it is for Vista/XP and i only have a single core.
Well when I try to run them in the DOS shell it wont let you gives error.. will the Emulater work just as dos.. or a shell?
Are you running DOSBox like i just linked to? Vista doesnt have DOS. XP Doesnt have DOS. IT was eliminated with Windows ME. XP has command line that is it. So even XP has to emulate DOS to play these games.

I just read up on it.. it appears to run different than a DOS shell so it is more complex but killer..

Sorry to run off topic, but back to these scores.. I am really looking forward to Win7 thanks for posting this.

I liked this post.... only if the writer put actual times (needed to install, open, burn and etc) it'd make my day :)

and maybe a % improvement comparison table

Yes having a time table would help as well. But at least this does show that even right now the Win7 OS stands to be one of the better M$ OS's. Which is what i have been trying to say for a while now. :p

I've read that Windows 7 Beta 1 is "going public" at the end of the month....
What exactly do they mean by that? Does it just mean that testers will be able to give more information about the OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom