Compaq Presario will not restore after replacing hard drive

WallyGator

Solid State Member
I recieved a new Compaq Presario CQ57 notebook from my father-in-law who never used it. Unfortunately it had a bad hard drive right out of the box. Years had passed so no warranty. I replaced the HD with another of the same. The computer came with the disks so I thought this would be simple but alas as many things in my life things didn't go as planned. The disks supplied are the 2 disk version. The computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. When starting the disks by rebooting the computer the top of the black screen says "starting Windows 98" and further down the same page it says "Error: unable to detect... ADAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver not loaded". Seems to load anyway and start up well with disk one but when it gets to the point that it asks if I have the 1 or 2 disk version I hit 2 and immediately it asks me to insert disk 2. Before doing so an error flashes up in the bottom left corner that says "no files found. Invalid drive specification". I obey and insert disk 2 but nothing happens except for flashing the same message. In a nutshell - no restore.*

I've searched the net for days trying to find and answer and came up with ideas but nothing specific. I have run all the Bios tests and all come out working well. Boot order is cd/dvd room first. I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 onto an external drive but I can't get the CQ57 to read it even after changing the boot order. Also downloaded the drivers for the CD-rom but can't load that either. I have an old copy of Windows 2000 that I tried just to see what it would do and it actually loaded it but it would never start up. Didn't expect it too but it at least showed the CD-rom was working. I've hit every F-keys a million times and can't come up with anything that works.*

I'm ready to throw this computer out the window (no pun intended) so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am not a computer wiz so if you have something I need to do that required C++ or higher or lower you'd better talk me through it.*

Thank you

I've searched the net for days trying to find and answer and came up with ideas but nothing specific. I have run all the Bios tests and all come out working well. Boot order is cd/dvd room first. I downloaded a copy of Windows 7 onto an external drive but I can't get the CQ57 to read it even after changing the boot order.

Wanna elaborate on this part a bit? What do you mean you "downloaded a copy of Win7 onto an external drive" ?

Did you get an ISO and attempt to boot from it to install?

Use this tool to create a bootable flash drive from the ISO (if you have one): Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store

If you need a Win7 ISO...let me know and I can find one for you.

This for the quick reply. I found a copy of Win7 online and downloaded it to an external flash drive. I figured it wouldn't work but I didn't know what else to do. However I couldn't get it to read from the USB port anyway. To be honest I don't remember what type of Win7 file it was. The site claimed I could put it on an external drive and load it from there.

If my Compaq QuickRestore disks don't work what would an ISO file version do to help me?

This for the quick reply. I found a copy of Win7 online and downloaded it to an external flash drive. I figured it wouldn't work but I didn't know what else to do. However I couldn't get it to read from the USB port anyway. To be honest I don't remember what type of Win7 file it was. The site claimed I could put it on an external drive and load it from there.

If my Compaq QuickRestore disks don't work what would an ISO file version do to help me?

An ISO image is a basically a file representation of a CD/DVD.

A Win7 ISO would be the installation disc. I can get you a link to a proper (Win7 Home Premium) ISO image, that you can then use with the USB Tool that I posted previously to create a bootable flash drive. Then you should be able to boot off of the flash drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 7.

I don't know where you got the "copy of Win7" from so I'd advise not using it in case it's not legit. The ISO's I'll link to will be legit.

Unfortunately, my usual source for the discs is currently down (http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html), but when I get home after work I can see about uploading a Win7 x64 ISO for you.

It will require your license key, which should be able to be found on a license sticker on the bottom of the laptop - make sure that the license key is readable.

Last edited:
That sounds great. Yes my license key is legible. So if I understand this correctly I will download and install the USB tool on another computer and that will allow me to download and put a Win7 ISO on a flash drive. How large of a flash drive do I need and does it have to be void of any other files?

Thanks

That sounds great. Yes my license key is legible. So if I understand this correctly I will download and install the USB tool on another computer and that will allow me to download and put a Win7 ISO on a flash drive. How large of a flash drive do I need and does it have to be void of any other files?

Thanks

Correct.

Flash drive needs to be minimum of 4GB. If there's any files on it, back them up first, as I believe the USB Tool will format the flash drive before copying to it.

I'm downloading it right now. I'll let you know when it's complete but it may not be until morning. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom