College education and employment rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing, although its often creating (in my case as well) a bunch of entry level workers with minimum wage and thousands in debt...

I agree, another one of my friends said the same thing. While on average college grads make more money and have lower unemployment it would be interesting to see the alcoholism and debt bar included in there.

Thanks for sharing, although its often creating (in my case as well) a bunch of entry level workers with minimum wage and thousands in debt...
Explain to Employers that "minimum wage" is the minimum that they can pay - for someone without either an expensive Education or experience at a reputable Business (one that will not pay that low to anyone, they have Standards).

If the Employer thinks that the Education you have is so cheap then ask for "Tuition Reimbursement" (and a years pay for the three years it took to get the Education). If they think your Education has no value then you needed to have attended a different School or sought an educated Employer.

The excuses an Employer gives during an interview as to why they are important and have a Job for you yet they can not pay much is to obtain your employment for cheap. Hold out for fair pay and you will see that these places go under within a year or two and that they are ALWAYS replaced by better Employers (lest they meet the same fate).

By working somewhere for cheap you compete with yourself and the other Business that would pay fairly.

Shoveling sand will rarely pay well as opposed to what you would earn for delivering it (or the shovels).

Among my close circle of friends, I'm the only one that has a degree. Years ago when we worked together, I went to school at night, they didn't. In the last 30 years, I have been laid off once for a period of 10 months. My 4 friends have all been laid off multiple times and it takes them a year or more to find another job (in some cases more than 2 years). I've talked with every one of them and they all say that they regret they didn't get a degree when they were younger.

However, since I graduated 30 years ago, the cost of a college education has skyrocketed. I have 4 adult kids in college right now and we are struggling to get them through college without incurring 10's of thousands $$$ debt.

The issue is, when you factor in the cost of the degree, will you be better off? I don't know what the answer is but I feel someone with a degree has a better chance for continued employment than someone without.

It will pay off, BUT youre more broke for the first decade.

But a degree isn't everything, as you aren't entitled to a job, just because you have a degree. Plus a general arts degree isn't as useful as say a science or engineering degree.

Among my close circle of friends, I'm the only one that has a degree. Years ago when we worked together, I went to school at night, they didn't. ...

However, since I graduated 30 years ago, the cost of a college education has skyrocketed. I have 4 adult kids in college right now and we are struggling to get them through college without incurring 10's of thousands $$$ debt.

The issue is, when you factor in the cost of the degree, will you be better off? I don't know what the answer is but I feel someone with a degree has a better chance for continued employment than someone without.
They will have to work while they are in College and not mess around. They will need to take out Student Loans. I don't have four kids because I know I can not afford it. In the US an Education at a well respected College is going to cost a lot.

It is a certainty that they will be better off, IF they chose their Courses wisely.

I just saw an article the other day (sorry no link) that was saying that people with a college education have a lower incidence of cancer. The article didn't say why, but if it's true, it's another good reason to stay in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom