Clean install of OS X 10.4 using upgrade disc(10.3 not installed on system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

First off let me say I am basically a Mac newb so be as clear as possible.

I am doing some contract work for a company who is buying some new Mac's with OS X 10.5, and I'm messing around with a G3 Imac(tower), just trying to get used to Mac's so I'm not scratching my head while I'm setting up the new Mac's.

This G3 used to have OS X 10.3 on it. Originally the plan was just to format and re-install 10.3. Well I formatted the HDD and then the supposed "10.3 install discs" would not work, just gave me some error that said, "bundled software could not be installed". Never even gave me an option to install OS X 10.3. I don't think they're even 10.3 install discs, seems like it's just additional software. So I now have a 10.4 disc, but it's an upgrade disc and it won't let me install 10.4 on the system because 10.3 is not on the system(because I formatted the HDD). So for the time being I'm screwed.

Is there any way to install Mac OS X 10.4 WITHOUT already having OS X 10.3 on the system? I've looked online a little bit but the methods I have tried have not worked.

Any help is much appreciated. Remember, I'm a Mac newb, I know the Windows world really well but Mac's are like aliens to me.

If it's only an upgrade disk, then no not really. You'll have to try and get yourself a copy of either 10.3 or the actual 10.4 installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom