Can't Make Partition "Active" GRRRrrrrr!1

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
I have 4 HDD's, and 4 partitions. One of them is a Crucial M4 which houses my boot-ups and programs. The other three are 2 320GB HDD's, and 1 160GB HDD. The problem is that I can't make the 160GB HDD an "active" partition, so I can't use it in a RAID0 I'm trying to set up. Why??? I need that hard drive space for my RAID! Help please?

Anybody??? No one knows how to work around this or what the problem might be?

Try using gparted live cd?

No. What is that?

I'm running W7 64-bit
I wonder if it is a problem with the drive going bad. I tried a couple experiments, like disconnecting all the drives accept the boot drive and the one drive that won't go "active", formatted that disc, made it a new simple volume, and it said Healthy Primary Partition. When I right clicked on it I STILL couldn't mark this partition as active.

Dumb 12year old? LOL! I'm sure you aren't. I know quite a few smart 12 year olds.
Actually, I solved part of this problem awhile ago by doing what you said. However, this disk would STILL not become part of the RAID0 array. I gave up. Wasn't that important. I use that disk now for all my "dumps", so to speak. The 640GB of dual-striped 320GB disks is working fine for my RAID. Thanks to everyone for trying to lend a hand!

Dumb 12year old? LOL! I'm sure you aren't. I know quite a few smart 12 year olds.
Actually, I solved part of this problem awhile ago by doing what you said. However, this disk would STILL not become part of the RAID0 array. I gave up. Wasn't that important. I use that disk now for all my "dumps", so to speak. The 640GB of dual-striped 320GB disks is working fine for my RAID. Thanks to everyone for trying to lend a hand!

It doesn't make sense to have a software RAID0, you should be creating it in the controller BIOS.

It doesn't make sense to have a software RAID0, you should be creating it in the controller BIOS.

I DID create the RAID0 in the BIOS, and it is there that the volume of that disk does not show up. E.g.:
The two 320GB HDD's show up as 298GB a piece, or there abouts. The 160GB HDD shows up as 149. If I try to combine all 3 of them in RAID the volume size should be about 745GB, right? Well it only shows up as 447GB, which means one of the 320GB HDD's is not being included in the volume size. If I remove the 160GB HDD from the RAID volume then the size becomes 596. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it is what it is, and I'm tired of messing with it so that's the way it is going to stay, unless someone has a quick and easy solution to this... Microsoft's Pro Help was useless, so I won't go to them for help again.

I DID create the RAID0 in the BIOS, and it is there that the volume of that disk does not show up. E.g.:
The two 320GB HDD's show up as 298GB a piece, or there abouts. The 160GB HDD shows up as 149. If I try to combine all 3 of them in RAID the volume size should be about 745GB, right? Well it only shows up as 447GB, which means one of the 320GB HDD's is not being included in the volume size. If I remove the 160GB HDD from the RAID volume then the size becomes 596. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it is what it is, and I'm tired of messing with it so that's the way it is going to stay, unless someone has a quick and easy solution to this... Microsoft's Pro Help was useless, so I won't go to them for help again.

Nope, the capacity of a RAID0 array = the size of the smallest drive * the number of drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom