Cant Access internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be b/c the card isn't installed correctly...
Once you take the card out, boot up, then shut it down, reinstall the card... Make sure its sat correctly or try another slot.
Then when it asks for the driver install from that cd if windows can't find one.

The thing is... I dont even use that PCI modem card. I connect directly from an ethernet port to my DSL modem. I just put the card in my new computer because I took it out of my old one. This is the first computer I have ever built. And when I called SBC they said I couldnt connect to the internet because i didnt have a local area connection. I never had the disk for the PCI modem because my old computer was factory built by HP. Should I save some time and just buy another networking card? I have never really used it phsically by putting a phone jack into it, but your probably right in saying that I still use it even if I dont know it.I havent tried taking the card out an putting it back in yet, but ill give it a shot.

Now you're just confusing me even more, I told you the 56k modem has nothing to do with why you can't connect online. If you're using broadband, chances are it comes with a DSL/ cable modem that connects to your NIC port (ethernet port, network card..whatever you want to call it..RJ45 connector).

Do you even know if you have an ethernet port?
And does it work?
Can you open up cmd and ping 127.0.0.1?
Are you getting a valid IP address when you do ip config /all

For the drivers, if you have windows xp SP1 the drivers should automatically be in there.

If your internet connection is still not working, try rebooting your DSL modem with your computer turned off. SOme companies only allow internet access through one IP. If both does not work, then you might want to call up your ISP or call up the manufacture for your motherboard.

If you don't see local area connection in network connections you might have to create a new connection (this apply to windows xp) on the left hand side and choose "set up a home or small business network". Assuming you have a network card and the drivers are installed it working properly.

Ok i figured it out... it was some stupid bios thing. Somehow after i installed the drivers for the mobo, the onboard lan setting had been disabled somehow. Thanks anyways for your help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom