Can't access a Wireless AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danks

In Runtime
My work has an already established LAN with wireless connection enabled. Ive just purchased a D-Link DWL-800AP+, and i want to set it up as a repeater for an already existing AP.

I pluged the DWL-800AP+ to the switch next to my desktop and typed 192.168.0.30 (which is the DWL's default address) into the browers, but cant not connect...

I want to configure this AP to test out if it works, can someone help me out.

Connect your computer to the AP first, then use 192.168.0.30, if you connect it to the switch and try the ip address, the switch won't know how to get there.

Ok, so I unpluged both my comp wire and the AP wire from the switch. And I proceed to pluge the comp wire into the AP.

...Still no connection.

Just an added note. Ive already reseted the AP so the default IP should work.

You have to let your computer grap an IP address from the access point, or do it manually but making sure it's in the same network as 192.168.0.0

Wow Law, you are amazine.

I connect the AP and my computer directly.
Reset my comp ip configs to 192.268.0.0 with corrisponding mask.
I connected to the AP with no prob, thx man!

Ok, now i need to configure it to Repeater mode. Asking me for the MAC address (i got this) and now i need to get the correct WEP configs from my current AP (which im now having trouble connecting too...)

My network is no 192.168.100.XXX
The IP of my current AP is 192.168.100.203

Cannot connect to AP on my comp with IP 192.168.100.yyy

I tried connecting through the network with no luck
Then I tried connecting directly, also with no luck.

What should I do?

You need to disable DHCP if the one you are configuring has it enable, then you need to set it's IP address to something in the same network as the current AP.

By default, the product is set in repeater mode, so you just have to enter the MAC address of a neighboring AP. I would leave the encryption open temporally as a fix, just to avoid any problem from it. So disable WEP and leave it open. The repeater and the AP should be operating in the same channel and frequency. Check the status on the repeater, make sure it has the SSID and MAC address of the AP that it's communicating with.

Keep in mind that most repeating AP may not be compatible with other manufacture, just to give you a warning, your specification should be 802.11 b/g. 802.11a will not work.

Also keep in mind about the distance between the AP and the repeater.

Are you sure you are using it as a repeater or something else like point-to-point bridging or multi-point bridging?

Im using static ip on my network.

Theres an existing AP (that im currently trying to config, and is set to AP and not repeat (or atleast thats what i think until i can get into it))

Theres also another AP (the one that I just got into and converting into a Repeater, but need the WEP info from the working AP, which was confirmed by mymanage, has WEP enabled)

Shouldnt I be able to connect to the existing AP if is already part of the network with working ip configs?

The repeater will do nothing but just amplify the signal from the main AP, so in contrary you are really connected to the main AP, but the repeater is just amplifying the signal for a further distance.

I don't think you need to enter the WEP key for the repeater unless it's a point to point setup, which is two AP or multi-point which is 3 or more AP.

Repeater mode just need the MAC address of the AP and maybe authorization from the AP. You might need to check some MAC security on the AP and allow the repeater to communicate with it.

I don't know if you missed a step or doing it wrong but it shouldn't be this hard to get a wireless repeater working.

Just remember that sometime you might try all that is possible but the problem may just be that the device aren't compatible with each other. It happens sometime.........

Make sure that your computer is set back to the original way, meaning it should be configured or obtain an IP address from the AP again since you changed it to configure the repeater.

Thanks Law,

Everything is set up and Im gonna test it later today when I have free time.

The prob I might run into and that you stated is: Ill be trying to set up my DWL-800AP+ as Repeater, to repeat a Linksys AP. Odds are that it wont work, but im gonna try to test it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom