Cannot change network type

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I wasn't sure if this should go here or in Networking but it seems to be more of a Windows issue to me.

I am working with a fresh install of Win7 Ultimate x86. I have installed it on some old hardware as it is for a pro bono situation. Windows has installed fine but I cannot get it to connect to my network. The first time I put this together it worked fine but the hard drive crapped out so I am redoing it.

The network connections icon in the system tray has a yellow exclamation point and says "Unidentified network No internet access" when hovered over. I go into the Network and Sharing Center and it shows it connected to an unidentified network and has it listed as a public network. It will not let me alter the network type nor will it let me select the network type. The link under the network name in "View your active networks" is dead and not a link. I have tried going into Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Network List Manager Policies and setting everything as editable but it makes no change.

To make sure that it wasn't just a blip I reformatted and reinstalled the OS again but got the same issue.

Drivers seem to be fine. Hardware seems to be fine. Every computer in the house is connected to the router without a problem, either wired or wirelessly.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Does the machine happen to have both wireless and wired network connections enabled..?

Seems it's a Win7 bug... You may want to attempt assigning an IPv4 address manually on the machine as from what I understand, it's not getting a DHCP lease, thus causing Unidentified Network, AND the inability to change the network type. Typically this happens when a router sees a network device twice and doesn't give out a proper lease from my research...

Worse comes to worse, you will have to edit the registry...

no wireless as this is a desktop. I will play with it some more tomorrow and see what I can get.

Are you using dhcp? If so are you obtaining a 169 addr? If so its a network config problem. Are you using VLANs?

It should let you pick network type on install, does it allow you to do this, if so does to automatically change to public if you set it as home? Try another ISO maybe it's corrupted.

Back
Top Bottom