Cannot Aquire Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snubcube

Beta member
Hi, my computer recently began to drop connection to the internet, and im not really sure why. Nothing was installed, nothing was altered on the computer, and the connection varies. Sometimes it will stay connected for a day, other times for only 5 minutes. Whenever it drops its connection it says it is trying to aquire the network but it never does. Restarting, unplugging everything, and turning things off do not work. I have a dsl router that is hooked up to something that allows 3 computers to be on the internet. My computer is hooked up to this "hub" thing with an ethernet cable. I also have recently had problems with explorer.exe not running and sometimes i have to manually turn off the computer a few times to get it to start. Thanks for any help and let me know if you need more information.

First, I would suggest that you do spyware/adware/virus scan's on the PC.... (Are you by chance using WindowsME? If yes, that would probably be a common occurance, lol.)

Also, if you can, plug your computer directly into the DSL Router (is it a modem, or a router, or a combo unit?) Bypass that middle piece of hardware. If you can, try a different cable, and a different port on the router. Make sure the cable is fully seated, and not loose.

Antivirus and those sort of things have found nothing, and for no good reason it is connecting again so i will try to plug it into the router next time it gets disconnected. Thanks for the help!

no prob!

If the explorer.exe issue keeps popping up, you might want to post about it in the Windows forum.... I really can't touch that one, not sure where to start, lol.

When you're having connection issues, are the other PC's connected to the 'hub' having the same issue? This determines a lot.

Go to task manager (right click task bar at bottom). Go to the Processes tab, sort the processes by CPU, anything fishy going on?

Have you checked your network card's Ethernet jacks carefully? Make sure all the pins are dust-hippo free and SPRUNG UP. I've seen one of them get stuck down and not make contact. Check both ends. Check network cable (or replace with KNOWN working cable).

If you're having issues with exlorer.exe try also going to the task manager (you may have to ctl-alt-del to get in), go to file, new task, type in explorer.exe. Various virus scans as usual in order. Try web based scans as well. Help2Go - Home

You may also want to go to the Event Log and check there for clues. (right click on mycomputer > manage. There you'll find the event logger, look through there for any messages regarding the network card /connection or anything relevant.

Let me know if the others drop connection too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom