Cable Modem Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fudleone

Baseband Member
Dear all,

I currently connect my Cable Modem through USB:eek: . well, i now have a brand new ethernet cable, patch cable to be precise. :)

i have connected this first with disconnecting the usb connections . now whenever i boot up, i can no longer access the internet. reverting back to usb, i have full access. can anyone help?

Steps i have taken already:
Instead of automatically acquiring by DHCP, i input the IP address manually. (~The IP has remained constant for a few days, i haven't shut the modem off)
it is not manually recognising the IP address.

running IPconfig, it does not give default gateway IP.

i have tried endlessly, but to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Don Fudleone

DON,

Check your internet connections. First check to see if you have a crossover or straight through cable. You need straight through. On the Inspiron 5100 at the physical network connection you get a link light. When you have it hooked up, what lights do you get?

Green -- You have good connection
Amber -- Something wasn't able to resolve. possible cable.

What is your form of internet? Cable or DSL? If it's cable you will need to Obtain an IP address automaticaly. When you set those settings you shouldn't have to reboot, but it can't hurt. test your connect by going into your cmd prompt. START>RUN>Type "CMD"> YOu will get a command window. Type "ipconfig /all"

If it's DSL there is a different setting to do. You can get these from your Internet Protocol settings for your usb TCP/IP settings (since it is working). Just inplant those in your other tcp/ip settings & you should be good.

Thx for ur reply,

i guess patch is the same as straight through.

i will check the lights.

although i have already told it to obtain ip address automatically before with no luck.
i will also run the ipconfig, what kind of repsonse should i get? i followed the guidelines of the manufacturer, and it doesn't show up as supposed to be.

i have a cable connection

i will let the thread know of the results.

Don Fudleone

Update, the results

i connected the cable, the lights were as follows

Orange Amber - Constantly On
Yellow Amber - Flashing (with activity)

on running ipconfig - no primary DNS suffix or gateway.

overall- no connection to the internet.

if anyone has further suggestions - i would appreciate them.

Don Fudleone

OK, I checked out the color on the dell notebooks & green aparently is not in the scheme.

Orange Amber - Constantly On
Yellow Amber - Flashing (with activity)

Is a good connection. Try re-booting your cable modem (leaving off for 30+ seconds).

I reconnected the ethernet cable. i rebooted the modem. rebotted the computer - no luck.

it has assigned an automatic private address.

i click on repair connection, it gave an error saying - 'Could not Repair(or i think Renew) IP'

Any suggestions?

Don Fudleone

Have you tried the crossover cable that extralov suggested? I had this same problem at my store. I have dsl both at home and at my store. The dsl modem at my house uses a straight cable to connect to my router. When Covad gave me their dsl modem for my store, I unpacked it and got the crossover and straight cable mixed up (they were different colors, but I did not pay attention, I assume both were the same thing). I hooked up the straight cable to the router (bc that is what I did at home) and it did not work. I called up Covad and after about 15min of troubleshooting with me, we found out their dsl modem required a crossover cable. Hopefully it is the same for you and is that easy.

NOOOOOO not crossover cable. Crossover cable is mostly for like devices (I.E. router-router, computer-computer). Straight-through is for connecting non like devices (I.E. router-computer).

Don, You didn't get a vaild IP address if it was private (196.168.XXX.XXX). If you are going modem to PC. You should have gotten a public IP address. Re-boot your modem (30+ seconds). Do a IPCONFIG. If that doesn't work. Check your configuration for your NIC card.

i have found out about registering my MAC with my ISP online.

should this work i will report back.

Don Fudleone

I thought you was getting connectivity through using the USB cable but not ethernet cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom