cable modem and networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny501

Solid State Member
hey guys, ive got a couple of questions for you as i cant seem to figure out an easy way to do this. basically, i got one of those new cable modems with the voip built in. i have a netgear router with 4 wired ports and wireless access. thats all sitting in the den of my house. i have my computer in my room with my ps2. my computer is currently running off a wireless card with a lousy 12 mbps. my ps2 is not currently online. im tired of the wireless with the occasional loss of connection always at the wrong time and the slow speeds. i want to put a wired router in my room, no wireless. the only way i can do this right now is to run an ethernet cable from the router in my den to my room.

i was thinking there might be an easier way that i might be over looking which is why im posting here. now, i also have my old cable modem that doesnt have the voip capability. i tried hooking that up to the cable line in my room and to my pc and got the send, receive, and online lights to light up but the activity light would not blink and of course i had no connection.

okay so my question is, besides running an enthernet cable across my house, is there an easier way?

thanks for any help you can give.

You could still use wireless, as it appears you are operating under 802.11b.

802.11b -> 11 mbps
802.11g -> 54 mbps

You may, of course, need new hardware. And if your internet connection is slower than 54 mbps, then it will be your new bottleneck.

The reason the cable modem won't work in your room, is that if you already have one connected, you won't get another IP address.... You can only have 1 modem connected to the same line.

Do you have other hosts connected to the modem, or is it just your computer and PS2? Obviously, you use it for VOIP... What about movind the modem to your room, and then using a base station phone in your room, and extra handset throughout the house?

id rather not move the modem and router because they are on the middle floor of my house so the wireless can reach the upstairs, basement and garage. if i put it in my room ill loose access in my basement and garage since my room is upstairs.

my computer is always on and im currently running off wireless which i want to change. their is another computer next to the router that gets used frequently during the day and is running via ethernet cable. occasionly, maybe one or two laptops may be running on wireless during the day but not that often. my ps2 is not connected to the internet.

i think the only way im going to get the best connection is to run a really long ethernet cable from my router to my room then put a wired router so i can hook up my computer and ps2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom