C++ vs. C#?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would someone want to code an app in C++ over C#?
For a typical business app, there really is no good reason. For other apps, like graphics-intense games that require a higher degree of performance, C++ fits the bill. Sometimes it comes down to programming language familiarity on the part of the programmer.

I always code in C++ when I need a language like that, just because it's what I've used for so long. I guess C# might be better overall but hey it's not like C++ isn't useful at all

One reason to argue C++ over C# is corporate ownership. Microsoft developed C# as their own language. There has been recent IDE ports for C# to Mac/Linux (here's one), but Microsoft holds the last word as to what defines the language.

C++ is supposed to be undergoing a major overhaul in the future and is being reworked. The work being done to it has been going on for quite some time now. Still no word on its release though. It continues to be the language choice for applications where performance is key but I agree it is showing its age more and more each year that passes without an update.

If you study computer science formally, C++ is pretty much what you learn depending on the school.

In a professional setting, I kind of figure choice of programming languages depends on the application and platform, as was mentioned above. Most shops and jobs are going to tell you in advance what they want you to know.

C++ is supposed to be undergoing a major overhaul in the future and is being reworked. The work being done to it has been going on for quite some time now. Still no word on its release though. It continues to be the language choice for applications where performance is key but I agree it is showing its age more and more each year that passes without an update.

just to elaborate on this a bit further, i went ahead looked up some info

C++0x - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG21 C++ Standards Committee's current schedule is to finish balloting the final committee draft by August of 2010, and to complete the final draft international standard during the March 2011 standards meeting.[1] However, WG21 expects it to take six months to a year before the standard is officially published by ISO, leading to its publication by the end of 2011.[2] To be able to finish on schedule, the Committee decided to focus its efforts on the solutions introduced up until 2006 and ignore newer proposals.[3]

Yeah it's honestly less of an update and more of a complete rework. It should even have greater performance increases.

In short, after this update, C++ will be around for at least another decade. Which I'm happy to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom