Buying new motherboard....

phantom555

In Runtime
What does mean by chipset when it comes to choosing a new motherboard?
Meaning i need to see 775 socket as per my earlier motherboards of gigabyte of DDR2 and DDR3...
So if i want to buy choose a better one with two graphic card slots and DDR2+DDR3 capability for my core2duo chip, then i saw in gigabyte motherboard website asking which kind of chipset would you prefer? what does that mean? other than core2duo cpu functionality we need to consider the motherboard inbuilt chipset as well which goes well with the CPU.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Socket-775
G41 chipset, P45....etc
As when i go to market indian shops they show me only two to three types mobo only to choose from.....but they don't mention anything like chipsets too?
Or if i take DDR2+DDR3 both ramsets capability then i would have 6gb ram but it won;t give system bios unstability or errors?
Or should i go for something like AMD socket AM3+ with good overclocking? asrock or asus shipped from abroad rather than buying from indian market ...

Last edited:
They are old boards, I'm surprised they still have some 775 boards tbh so you're lucky there. The boards that had both DDR2 and DDR3 were older boards from crappier brands plus you can't use both at the same time and it required at least a Wolfdale/Yorkfield processor (since those are the ones with DDR3 support). I would say if you can look for a P45 based board. Those were the most stable with decent features compared to X38 and X48.

I just studied whats a chipset on the net....
https://www.howtogeek.com/287206/what-is-a-chipset-and-why-should-i-care/
While mine latest motherboard gigabyte is i now came to know is of G41 chipset which supports DDR3 but overclocking seems not possible with this one i guess even with core2duo chip.
While earlier i had used was of G965 chipset which supported DDR2 RAMs which i failed to use under warranty only two years and customer helpdesk support said its gone case. Or should i ought had to change manually remove the DDR2 sockets and replace them with DDR3 ones, would that had helped improvised? as memory bus had remained the same....!!!?
I want ship it to taiwan to its manufacturing unit that what kind of these mobos are you making....!!
I came to know that chipset comprises of chips working systematically for the integrated functioning of the pc unit with ram. Perhaps DDR3 RAM gives better quicker graphic functionality than DDR2.
I guess X38 chipset is better than P45 and X48....but overclocking and OS compability issues might effect its working as you say its old time motherboard chipsets.
So whats the modern chipset for overclocking as well as DDR3 RAMs and with two graphic card PCI slots, stable long time use motherboard you can suggest of which company?

Last edited:
While mine latest motherboard gigabyte is i now came to know is of G41 chipset which supports DDR3 but overclocking seems not possible with this one i guess even with core2duo chip
That's because G41 is the lowest chipset for that range of processors and generally used by OEMs in pre-builts and cheap media PCs. Overclocking is only possible on the higher end consumer boards.

Or should i ought had to change manually remove the DDR2 sockets and replace them with DDR3 ones, would that had helped improvised? as memory bus had remained the same....!
Despite the fact that DDR3 has more pins than DDR2 and is not physically the same DIMM, the board would simply not work because the bios is not programmed to communicate with DDR2 to 3 unless specifically made to utilize it. DDR3 also uses a different voltage layer so by doing that and installing DDR3 they would literally fry. The only similarity here is the fact that the CPU has an IMC that is capable of DDR2 and 3.

I want ship it to taiwan to its manufacturing unit that what kind of these mobos are you making....!!
This stuff we are talking about is almost a decade old. They would either ship it back (and charge you for it) or toss the board and laugh to be honest.

I guess X38 chipset is better than P45 and X48....but overclocking and OS compability issues might effect its working as you say its old time motherboard chipsets
What's better is pretty subjective between the 3 chipsets. None of the Intel chipsets in those days supported SLI. The P45 had a single 2.0 16x slot and ran 8/8 whereas the X38 was the older ICH9 board but ran dual 2.0 16x for Crossfire. The X48 was the newer board with the ICH10 chip and ran dual 2.0 16x for Crossfire. In those days if you wanted an SLI board you needed the 750i or 780i, I personally had a 780i in 2009. The X38 and X48 based boards were high end and expensive so most people went for the P45 boards as they had a great balance of overclocking ability, features, and performance while having PCI-E 2.0 still. The most modern and "best" out of the trio would be the X48, but none of these chipsets or boards in question are modern at all as they're almost a decade old. My board of choice was the Asus P5Q Deluxe, and a close second is the Gigagyte EP45-UD3P. I have personally owned the Gigabyte board too.

Edit: Sorry I goofed, you want DDR3. Yea, if you want SLI and DDR3 go for the 780i chipset, if you want Crossfire and DDR3 go for X48. There's no way around it for DDR3 support. Overclocking with X48 is highly board dependent and finding one of those high end X48 boards might be pretty difficult. In those days pre-X58 and i7 these were the best boards to have.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_EXTREME/

Honestly if you're only going to use an e8400 you might be better off getting the Asus P5Q Deluxe instead because it can hold more DDR2 than the X48 Rampage can hold DDR3. 16GB vs 8GB, with how RAM heavy apps are these days you might want the 16GB DDR2 instead. In my experience the faster DDR3 hampered overclocking on my old e8400. I could get 4.0GHz under water with the Gigabyte P45 board and only 3.8GHz with the 790i SLI under water while running DDR3 around 1800MHz. When I got my Tri-SLI 280s I went back to the 780i and DDR2 running them at 1200 and it performance better due to the higher CPU clock attainable.

Last edited:
yess the motherboard....ASUS Rampage Extreme....is perfect for as its features overclocking and working stability temp monitors as well in some of its variant....high end motherboards i used to read them some time earlier in 2012 but i didn't understood what was written back then. Nice but pricey more than 25,000 INR thats the price of a LT and desktop nowdays....
But as the one you have suggested me i would keep it in mind and try get it second hand from america and bring it to my home in mumbai india. As this is a one nice piece collectible.
Any MSI and Asrock similar...
And any other chipset you could suggest as similar good performing for CPU AMD AM3+...?

I heard core2duo was in 1999 coming to india in office computers once....they the indians were using dual core only in 1995 1999 but in refurbished names and specifications...and some were experts in overclocking too....
G41, then P55, then X58 and H67
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-H67A-UD3H-rev-10#ov
But there is no mentioned anywhere overclocking.....all seems to be the same branding....
this is for crossfire ATI support rugged performance compatible to all the pc games quick speed reddish black color phases...
I would prefer ATI only....
but..you mentioned...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_nforce_780i_sli_us.html

Ok this you were saying 780i chipset, i have seen it for the first time....perhaps its available in mumbai...i would have to ask....
And this is for SLI Nvidia support which have media effect green blue color coded FPS systems some games play ok it seems....smooth performance.....

look what china is selling their own brandishing ....two CPUs acting at one and DDR4 rams...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Z10PE-...B-WITH-SLI-AND-CROSSFIRE-SUPPORT/112445453164
How is the processing then architecture? chipset can anyone explain hahaha?
xeon processor i had heard in 1998 for as supercomputers...
Instead where is SEGA dreamcast?

Last edited:
No why do you ask.....i have taken care to write it correctly only no grammar mistakes.
Or are your trying to tell me something about transistors and capacitors on the motherboard their functioning in making up the PCB layout...its hard to understand though. Electrical signal amplification and data bus management.

Last edited:
Buying all the motherboards is really out of question but if i were a motherboard beta tester....then it would had been fun.....as i have already played all the games....so i won't play it again....i played call of duty and brother in arms five times....

Back
Top Bottom